DNA cancer screening tables are a medicare scam

So is there a consensus on this? SCAM or NO?
Theyre not agents most likely, so i would advise seniors to NOT give them their medicare number or MBI. but whether its going to be an actual SCAM or not would be impossible to say at this point. probably not the best idea.

“Indiscriminate testing is a real red flag right now,” Mehta said.

Diagnostics and genetic testing are advancing in leaps and bounds and with that knowledge will come more details of which types of tests work best for which genders, ages, or medical histories. Genetic histories could become critical for all patients in the future; for now, the federal government expects certain tests only to be done in certain subsets of patients where there’s proof of medical necessity, Mehta said. https://www.bna.com/genetic-testing-co-n57982089833/

Everyone needs to calm down. Google it and you will see that Medicare did approve these test, and they are not SCAMS, per se. Sure agents will screw up it, like that lady did in her post. She has been terminated (from what I hear.) CMS wants to put money into prevention instead of treatment and they are building a cancer genome map with this info.

I'm a huge fan of DNA tests. Before I got prescribed a drug this summer I did a test to see which family of drugs would work best for me. This is stuff we should all be doing, instead of being guinea pigs for the drug companies. But the tests are expensive! CMS reimburses the labs thousands of dollars because Medicare wants and needs this info.

There are always bad actors out there. Just because they doing it illegally/unethically doesn't mean that opportunity is bad for your Medicare clients, you the agent or Medicare. Don't do it for the money. I personally wish there wasn't so much money in it, because that brings in the dud agents.

Remember, MAPD is not a scam just because some bad agents go around each year telling people it is a $0 Med Supp. The product is good, the agents are bad.

It can definitely be a legitimate test, if requested by the doctor and done as CMS states in the bulletin. Not so much if it's by a random tester.

JUST MY OPINION - For what it's worth!

Watch this video I found by doing a Google search: It’s a Multi-Level Marketing opportunity to send people with regular Medicare (Not Medicare Advantage Plans) to get the tests. A doctor (not their personal doctor) asks questions and approves the test. Listen to the pitch - set up a table and find people with a regular Medicare card.

Yes, Medicare has approved Genetic testing for certain cancers (several of them in fact)! In doing a Google search it appears that some of these tests were just recently approved to be paid (With Medicare Support, Genetic Cancer Testing Goes Mainstream) AND APPARENTLY Medicare left open a loophole which some enterprising folks have jumped on to exploit that loophole. And yes while it could currently be legal since Medicare has only 30 days to approve a Medicare bill and hasn’t caught up to speed with the mass of tests which could be performed under this opportunity, it may go on for a while. But stop and think about it, these tests are expensive (Questionable tactics used to profit from genetic testing boom), should be ordered by the patients “personal doctor” and the people involved in this MLM opportunity are getting people to provide “DNA swabs” which is very personal information outside their personal doctor’s office. Not everyone who has had cancer themselves or in their family benefits from DNA testing as per MD Anderson “Only about 5 to 10% of cancer cases are related to genetics,” says Karen Lu, M.D., co-medical director of the Clinical Cancer Genetics Program at MD Anderson. (Who needs genetic testing for cancer?), but yes it can benefit certain people. But from CMS PAY ATTENTION!!! (https://www.regence.com/documents/1...ng+scams/3439b46a-2f97-40d2-94ec-c62e4478712e)

And who do you think is paying for these expensive genetic tests through Medicare, You & Me, the taxpayer! I don’t know about you but I don’t want to pay for every Tom, Dick and Harry who gets these tests if they don’t need them. Their "personal doctor" should be the one who is doing a referral if they feel the test is needed, not a bunch of insurance agents or as is stated in the information video anybody, - no Insurance License required, who wants to set up a table and do the swabs. There is a Medicare fraud line where things like this can be reported and I’m sure as time goes by Medicare will catch up to what is going on. It may not be fraud now, but it could be later and do you want to be involved. It may work out to be a real money-making opportunity for a while, but as a Medicare recipient I do not want to be a party to anything like this as more people who have these expensive tests done unnecessarily will increase my and your future Medicare costs. And yes both I and my wife have cancer histories somewhere in our upline family, just like most of the other population of America!

We’re going to see more and more information about genetic testing as it holds the promise of a lot of new benefits for disease management, prevention and hopefully cures. But mass abuse of the Medicare system will not help those who might benefit from these important tests. Hopefully, Medicare will close any loopholes which exist and put a stop to the random testing of anyone who has a regular Medicare card and has had cancer themselves or a family member. Again it's better left to the patient's personal physician to determine the need for testing.

A couple more references: 1) Genetic Testing Fraud 2) https://www.kdads.ks.gov/docs/defau.../genetic-testing-kansas.pdf?sfvrsn=76a634ee_4

So there is no certainty if this is a scam or not yet...the battle back and forth here continues.

Back