Do I need a DBA to brand my services with a name other than my own?

Mtanner03159

Having a hard time finding an answer to this one. As the title says: If I, as a solo independent agent want to create the image of a trustworthy brand, with a website and a catchy name. Is it necessary to have a DBA?

Thanks!

As a sole proprietor you are already a DBA even if you are doing business as M Tanner Insurance.

There are businesses all over the country (probably the world) where the owner successfully does business under his/her own name.

If you feel the need to name your business, that's up to you.

The agency that I have my insurance with is a couple of initials followed by LLC. Means nothing to me. I couldn't tell you the name of the company without looking it up but my agent's name is A______.

No matter what you name your company, M Tanner will always be your customers' agent. Your name is the one they'll remember.

To answer your question, no, a business name is not necessary. It's optional.

In fact, M Tanner Insurance has a nice ring to it and it's already out there.

Last edited:
As long as you are doing business with your first and last name... you don't need a DBA.

If you want to use initials or anything other than your full first and last name, you will need a DBA... and you'll need it approved by your state's department of insurance.

For a long time, I simply did business as "David Kinder Insurance and Financial Solutions" and davidkinderfinancial . com.

No DBA required.

Now, I do business as "Dynamic Advanced Wealth Insurance and Financial Solutions" and www.dynamicadvancedwealth.com

Having a hard time finding an answer to this one. As the title says: If I, as a solo independent agent want to create the image of a trustworthy brand, with a website and a catchy name. Is it necessary to have a DBA?

Thanks!
Unless your state has some restrictions on using DBAs, you can use any names you want for your business as long as it does not infringe on someone else's trademark.

Unless your state has some restrictions on using DBAs, you can use any names you want for your business as long as it does not infringe on someone else's trademark.
Oh, there's a whole can of worms on this one.

California Business Entity FAQ's:
Business Entity Frequently Asked Questions

Unacceptable Words/Phrases:
Unacceptable Words/Phrases

Not to be confused with Improper Use of Words/Phrases:
Improper Use of Words/Phrases

I originally applied for the name "Tax Exempt Wealth Insurance and Financial Solutions"... and I had seen the Unacceptable words link before and didn't see 'tax' listed. But 'tax' IS listed on the improper list - as I was told by the regulator's employee.

Since I didn't want to waste my filing fee (and now I can have a bank account in the name of this DBA as I did a full proper local filing), I settled for Dynamic Advanced Wealth Insurance and Financial Solutions.

A great URL is great. However, I don't believe using a website url that does not have your name in it is not in itself enough to require a DBA filing.

I don't think a URL of any kind is necessarily a problem? However, it 'could' be called into question as to how one is representing themselves to the public.

Probably better safe than sorry.

Back