Does anyone really get "rich" selling Medicare

If you want to get to 1000 clients, it's going to take some hustling, for sure. I don't see you being able to do it on your own.
You can do it but it takes time to get there and a lot of effort to keep everyone on the books without staff to help. You are a great example of how everyone’s definition of success is different. Not everyone defines success as 1,000 clients.

This business creates a wonderful living for several reasons, whether you want to make tons of money, have freedom/flexibility, semi-retire, lean into your inner social worker, or a combination of those things.

Drives me nuts when idiots like Christian Brindle and Justin Brock assign their own definition of success onto others. Not everyone wants or needs to be a “Medicare Boi”.

Walter

he probably does out sell most of the people here

Don speaks Australian? Who knew?

Most?? Au contraire. In his mind he sells more than ALL of the people here . . . COMBINED.

He's not merely a man . . . he is a machine

Last edited:
For me, it's not about the money, it's the ability to set my own hours and the freedom that entails. I've got about 450 clients, between medicare and aca. I make about 100k a year gross. There's zero need for an office outside of the home.
Since I'm now taking care of my mom (who has dementia), I am basically living on renewals and referrals. But I get them fairly regularly from my clients. I just don't have the time or energy for marketing at this moment. Being my own boss means I'm able to take care of mom, and that's a blessing.

If you want to get to 1000 clients, it's going to take some hustling, for sure. I don't see you being able to do it on your own. There are plenty of ways to market that don't involve mailers. Since I've become independent, I have never once used them. You have to develop relationships locally, with Dr offices, with LTC facilities, with dentist offices, with senior centers, etc. Those are going to get you people who won't drop off the books right away, and it'll get you a consistent stream of referrals.
For me it is the ability to use the skills I have acquired over the years to help meet people needs. Many of these people have never had any willing to take the time to help them. Although I am helping people get access to health care I see myself more as a case worker. I have helped a handful of clients get approved for Medicaid and LIS. Prescription discount programs from the manufacturer too.
It would is truly rewarding to help the seniors of this nation.

For me it is the ability to use the skills I have acquired over the years to help meet people needs. Many of these people have never had any willing to take the time to help them. Although I am helping people get access to health care I see myself more as a case worker. I have helped a handful of clients get approved for Medicaid and LIS. Prescription discount programs from the manufacturer too.
It would is truly rewarding to help the seniors of this nation.
Agree. I've helped numerous people get LIS and medicaid as well. It's very rewarding to help people like that. I guess I got that from my mom who was a Director of nursing for nursing homes for years. I remember going to the nursing home and sitting with residents who never got visitors, just so they had someone to talk to. It definitely left an impression on me. I never planned on getting into this business, but it happened, and I love it. I'm a small fish though, little less than 500 clients, but it works for me. Considering everything going on in the MA business right now, I probably should start keeping my eye open for opportunities that utilize what I've learned these last 13 years. Hopefully I'll be able to keep this up until retirement, but we shall see.

Agree. I've helped numerous people get LIS and medicaid as well. It's very rewarding to help people like that. I guess I got that from my mom who was a Director of nursing for nursing homes for years. I remember going to the nursing home and sitting with residents who never got visitors, just so they had someone to talk to. It definitely left an impression on me. I never planned on getting into this business, but it happened, and I love it. I'm a small fish though, little less than 500 clients, but it works for me. Considering everything going on in the MA business right now, I probably should start keeping my eye open for opportunities that utilize what I've learned these last 13 years. Hopefully I'll be able to keep this up until retirement, but we shall see.
Thanks for sharing. It is truly rewarding. I have in many different industry but I hope I can stay here too. The world is constantly changing. Who knows, you may end up with a rifle in your hands protecting our country on US soil the way things are going. Adapt and overcome.

I think if you have the time and patience it's a great business to be in. I work for my father in law so I've had a soft landing which most people don't get. I've been doing this since 2016 and as of now I have about 500 Medicare/Individual clients. More clients if you include some of the small groups I've written. However it does start to snowball, this year I'm well over 100 new clients. If you do a good job, people will refer new clients to you and it will build on itself.

I'm 31 now and I would hope to have at least 1000 clients by the time I'm 40. Maybe 2000+ by 50. Then one day when you retire you have an asset to sell which is a big difference when compared to a regular job

I think if you have the time and patience it's a great business to be in. I work for my father in law so I've had a soft landing which most people don't get. I've been doing this since 2016 and as of now I have about 500 Medicare/Individual clients. More clients if you include some of the small groups I've written. However it does start to snowball, this year I'm well over 100 new clients. If you do a good job, people will refer new clients to you and it will build on itself.

I'm 31 now and I would hope to have at least 1000 clients by the time I'm 40. Maybe 2000+ by 50. Then one day when you retire you have an asset to sell which is a big difference when compared to a regular job
The bigger your book gets the more you must write to stay even . On 1000 book of mapd your looking at 25-30 deaths a yr . 10-20 leaving service area , losing part b , jail etc . And easily 5-7% or 50-70 switching or being switched . If you maintain 88-90% persistency with obviously a mix of 10-20% lis or dual ( remember about 35% of mapd’s are either dual or lis ) you’re going very good . At 1000 mapd you need 100 new clients every yr to stay level . I only know of 1 I individual agent with 2000 or so clients . He’s been writing probably 600-800 plans a yr for 6-7 yrs in a row .

The bigger your book gets the more you must write to stay even . On 1000 book of mapd your looking at 25-30 deaths a yr . 10-20 leaving service area , losing part b , jail etc . And easily 5-7% or 50-70 switching or being switched . If you maintain 88-90% persistency with obviously a mix of 10-20% lis or dual ( remember about 35% of mapd’s are either dual or lis ) you’re going very good . At 1000 mapd you need 100 new clients every yr to stay level . I only know of 1 I individual agent with 2000 or so clients . He’s been writing probably 600-800 plans a yr for 6-7 yrs in a row .
I don't know why it made me laugh when I read it but how many people a year do you lose to jail?

I'd say about 3% of my MAPD book are Duals or LIS. I don't really buy leads or anything I work on referrals so I've built very slowly but the persistency is very high. Obviously, people still die and move. Every once in a while a call center or another agent will poach a client.

Big shout out to t65inbound though. That's been my sole source of marketing for most of the year and it has worked great to supplement my referrals outside of AEP.

Back