EasyMedicare.com cold calling Advantage plans

NWSINS

Expert
MN
I client of mine received a unsolicited phone call from EasyMedicare.com to review her Medicare coverage and to see if she was receiving all the benefits she was entitled to. My client told the person she has a Medicare Advantage plan with Blue Cross. The EasyMedicare person immediately tired to sell here a UHC Medicare Advantage plan. The sales rep told her time is running out and she need to act now. My question is how can they get away with cold calling to sell Medicare Advantage plans? I called their 800 number and they told me they are not cold calling to sell plans. They call beneficiaries to see if the beneficiary is getting all the benefits they are entitled to. It appears they only sell UHC and Humana Medicare Advantage plans in my area. Who is policing these criminals? How do we report them?

I client of mine received a unsolicited phone call from EasyMedicare.com to review her Medicare coverage and to see if she was receiving all the benefits she was entitled to. My client told the person she has a Medicare Advantage plan with Blue Cross. The EasyMedicare person immediately tired to sell here a UHC Medicare Advantage plan. The sales rep told her time is running out and she need to act now. My question is how can they get away with cold calling to sell Medicare Advantage plans? I called their 800 number and they told me they are not cold calling to sell plans. They call beneficiaries to see if the beneficiary is getting all the benefits they are entitled to. It appears they only sell UHC and Humana Medicare Advantage plans in my area. Who is policing these criminals? How do we report them?

You could complain to UHC or possibly CMS, but it sounds like the client brought up MA... Not the caller. Which means they aren't telemarketing MA plans.

However, they can't mention companies without a scope, I believe.

They only sell Medicare Advantage plans. They are calling to explicitly sell Medicare Advantage plans. Clear violation of marketing rules.

They only sell Medicare Advantage plans. They are calling to explicitly sell Medicare Advantage plans. Clear violation of marketing rules.

This is not true. EasyMedicare.com is an affiliate of e-Telequote Insurance. Also, they note that Medicare Supplement plans are not connected w/ the US government.

E-Telequote notes that they do both Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage.

Furthermore, it matters how they got your clients info.

They are not saying anything about Med Advantage specifically until AFTER your client mentions MA, per your own description.

So it sounds like bait and switch is legal

There was not bait and switch. They called about Medicare.

Your client mentioned MA. They did not until AFTER your client did. They shouldn't have mentioned UHC.

However, you're twisting to make it seem as if they are marketing MA to seniors through telemarketing or under the guise of selling selling something else to get to MA.

Bait and switch is really trying to twist a MS client to move to MA. Not telemarketing for Medicare leads and finding out they're already on MA.

Again, how did they get your clients contact info?

My client did not request the call. She was cold called with the anticipation of selling a Medicare Advantage plan. Again, the only sell Advantage plans in my state and the website is all about Medicare Advantage plans. Clearly violated CMS guidelines and UHC and Humana are turning a blind eye to it.

Plans/Part D sponsors may not: •Use door-to-door solicitation, including leaving information such as a leaflet or flyer at a residence; •Approach potential enrollees in common areas (e.g., parking lots, hallways, lobbies, sidewalks, etc.); or •Use telephonic solicitation, including leaving electronic voicemail messages

Back