Employee Health Insurance and New Baby

nmkefa

This is a disaster. My wife had a baby on 12/11/13 and she was covered on my insurance plan. A week after having the baby I went to my HR office to add the baby to my plan, and to drop my wife for the 2014 year because she was forced to take her own insurance through her job. Well, my HR department screwed up and I just found out (after making phone calls about all the bills i just received) that they removed my wife from the plan and added the baby on the same day (12/11/13). My wife wasn't supposed to be removed until jan 1. Now we are getting bills as if she was not covered. Do I have any options here or am I just stuck eating the loss?

You should be able to explain to your HR person and have them contact the carrier to get her coverage reinstated for the month of December. Most carriers are very good about things like this. Start there and in the future take the extra few steps on your own to call your insurance company to verify changes like this. Unfortunately errors like this are pretty common.

Good luck and congrats on the kiddo.

Back