Employee injured while driving her own car

JWP

Expert
I insure a small Assisted Living facility in Michigan (no-fault state).

One of the employees was driving her own car while on the job and was injured in an accident. Will Workers Comp cover her injuries and lost wages or will she have to get coverage from her own personal policy?

If "while on the job" means that she was performing duties related to her employment then, yes, her employer's WC covers her injuries and lost wages.

Is somebody telling her different?

If "while on the job" means that she was performing duties related to her employment then, yes, her employer's WC covers her injuries and lost wages.

Is somebody telling her different?
Thanks for the reply. One of my coworkers said it would be covered under the driver's personal auto policy, but I had my doubts so I just gave the insured the contact information to WC's claim dept. and that they'll have to get all details before making a determination.

WC pays first. Then she can collect additional benefits from her PIP policy.

I don't know what the current WC limits are. Might still be 66 2/3 of her wages. I think PIP pays 80%. So she can collect the 66 2/3 % of her wages under WC and an additional 17 1/3 % of her wages from her own policy.

Figures may vary but you get the idea.

Give her one of these to fill out for the WC carrier:

http://acords.com/forms/4.pdf

The carrier might have it's own form but that will give her an idea of what information she should provide.

Also have her put her PIP carrier on notice of the claim.

By the way, was she at fault for the accident? Was anybody else injured? What were the extent of her injuries?

Personal auto policy may not pay at all. I believe there is plenty of Michigan case law supporting the business use exclusion, especially if there was passengers being transported or delivering product.

Employer BAP may need to come into play for Non-Owned auto, assuming the Assisted Living has Symbol 9 I believe on their BAP

Personal auto policy may not pay at all. I believe there is plenty of Michigan case law supporting the business use exclusion

There's an exception to the business use exclusion if a premium is charged for business use.

From a sample Michigan Personal Auto Policy - Liability Exclusion Section:

Bodily injury or property damage that occurs
while maintaining or using any vehicle while an
insured is employed or otherwise engaged in
any business (other than farming or ranching).
However, if a business or artisan use is noted
on the Declarations Page for an auto shown on
the Declarations Page, this exclusion does not
apply to the ownership; maintenance; or use of
that auto by:
a. You;
b. Any family member; or
c. Any partner, agent or employee of you or
any family member.

There's an exception to the business use exclusion if a premium is charged for business use.

From a sample Michigan Personal Auto Policy - Liability Exclusion Section:

Correct. So, unless you have informed your personal auto carrier about your business use & added it as permissible on the policy, any business use would be excluded, correct? This has become an even bigger issue with all the uber, grubhub, etc not to mention the historical normal business use such as insurance agent, realtor, etc that might drive to & from different customers.

So, unless you have informed your personal auto carrier about your business use & added it as permissible on the policy, any business use would be excluded, correct?

Yes.

This has become an even bigger issue with all the uber, grubhub, etc not to mention the historical normal business use such as insurance agent, realtor, etc that might drive to & from different customers.

And Pizza delivery.

Yes.

And Pizza delivery.

Exactly. That one for years was many times called out in the policy as an exeption, but today there are tons of other personal cars being used for all the myriad of new grocery, food, human delivery services.

The only reason I asked at all on this topic is was your original response indicated the person would go to their PIP policy after WC, but my thinking was that persons PIP policy likely excludes coverage & would instead need to look for coverage on the BAP non-owned coverage

I end up going back to the sample Michigan policy for each question. I found the following in the PIP section of the policy:

If Work Loss Benefit – Coordinated is shown on the
Declarations Page, we will not pay work loss
benefits that are payable or required to be provided
on behalf of you or any family member:
1. Under the provisions of any valid and collectible
worker’s compensation law, similar disability law
or any other state or federal law

If an insured bought the coordinated benefit, apparently at a lower cost, then WC would pay first and PIP would pick up the difference up to the PIP limits.

If an insured did not buy the coordinated benefit, and paid more for his policy, then he would get full benefits on the PIP coverage because there is no exclusion in the PIP for work related injuries.

WC would not pay anything unless the PIP coverage was exhausted.

My pdf sample is too large to upload here but you can google Michigan auto policy sample form and probably find the one that I did.

Back