• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Establishing Trust to Solve a Problem

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I am currently working with a referral from a long time client. Husband will T65 in July, wife (age 62) retiring in August. Husband has a variety of ailments and has a daily Rx regimen of 10 different medications. Most are low cost generics but two are high priced brand name only meds and a third has an affordable generic version but it is not on any formulary.

We are wrestling with ways to bring down the cost of Eliquis and Otezla.

I found solutions for Eliquis but Otezla is tough. After spending almost an hour looking for solutions I emailed the Rx report and it floored him. Otezla would cost almost $2500 for July through December.

His wife is handling most of the dialogue and told me a friend said if the doctor writes a note, saying Otezla is the only drug that works for him, the price will come way down. My response is below . . .

You have been given several reports, including the StrategiesForRx outline for your 3 most expensive meds. There are less than 200 agents nationwide who have access to that report and only a few live in Georgia.

You also have been given the link to NeedyMeds so you can do your own research if you choose.

The Otezla manufacturer can not provide financial assistance for people on Medicare, only for those covered by an employer group health insurance plan or Obamacare. These are rules laid out by CMS, not something the manufacturer decided on their own.
Drug manufacturers of high priced medications are given tax breaks and incentives from the IRS which allows them to heavily discount medications to people who are not covered by Medicare. However, those incentives and tax write offs disappear when you leave an employer group plan, or Obamacare, and enroll in Medicare.

There are currently 3 grant programs for Otezla users and the accessibility varies according to the underlying diagnosis. Only two of the grants are for folks with plaque psoriasis, and both are closed at this time until they get additional donor funding. Grants do not receive taxpayer funds, they rely on donations from individuals and corporations.

The FDA has not approved Otezla for "general" psoriasis, only for plaque psoriasis.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves prescription drugs such as Otezla to treat certain conditions.

Otezla is FDA-approved to treat three conditions in certain adults, which are described in more detail below:
plaque psoriasis
active (currently causing symptoms) psoriatic arthritis
mouth ulcers caused by Behçet’s disease

For plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, Otezla is often used in combination with other medications such as methotrexate (Otrexup, Rasuvo, Trexall, others), sulfasalazine (Azulfidine), leflunomide (Arava), or others.

Your options are limited.

Pay for Otezla out of pocket and find a pharmacy that can fill your prescription. Otezla is an LDD drug and only available in a few pharmacies.

Order the generic form (apremilast) from Canada with your doctor's approval and willingness to provide a new prescription for the Canadian pharmacy.

Ask your doctor for a more common, and lower priced prescription.

This morning I received the following from his wife.

Bob,
I put a call into our doctor about the #Otezla and am waiting to hear from her, hopefully today. I will keep you posted.
Thank you,

This is all about establishing a level of TRUST with your prospect or client.

Establishing trust is important but sadly I don't think some agents can be bothered. Churn and burn instead of nurture and retain.

Back when I first started in the Medicare game you taught me (through your responses to my posts) that understanding the clients' needs and fulfilling those needs was how to be successful ("Secrets of Questions Based Selling").

While I research and advise on PAPs, foreign pharmacies, discount programs etc as options for high-cost meds, I don't think I could have put together the above response. Reading your post, once again I am learning that that you have a wealth of knowledge to offer.

While I do sell differently than you in that I offer MA/PD plans in addition to MS, depending on client needs, I am still learning from you. Thank you.

Actually, I have learned and am still learning from a few of you that have been around since I started, so here's a shout out to you all! If you don't know who you are, you should!!!

@Hopes thank you for your kind words and feedback. I don't recall if we have talked or exchanged emails, but I am glad you have found my posts to be helpful.

Churning generates cash flow from policyholders . . . cultivating client relationship takes more time and effort and is a slower way to build a revenue stream but it won't be long before referrals will flow like water. There is a huge difference in having a book of clients vs a book of policyholders. Clients stick, policyholders are transients.

I am glad you found "Secrets" helpful. That book changed my approach from pitching a product and hoping they will buy what I am offering to becoming more of a diagnostician who allows the prospect to open up about what they want, or think they want, to discovering what they really need.

People love to buy but hate to be sold . . . Jeffrey Gitomer.

There are different ways to succeed in this business and what works for me may not work with others.

Congratulations on your success!

Back