Ethics Question

However, if they have a group plan and drop it, they would become HIPAA eligible.

Are you sure?

It's been a couple of years, but I think I recall reading (The New Health Insurance Solution) that HIPAA eligibility can differ between owners and employees to address just such a scenario.

Sorry it's a little vague due to elapsed time, but I would think you would want to check to make sure...

This is interesting.

Compare to Georgia.

Interesting, good website, will have to bookmark that one.

Are you sure?

It's been a couple of years, but I think I recall reading (The New Health Insurance Solution) that HIPAA eligibility can differ between owners and employees to address just such a scenario.

Sorry it's a little vague due to elapsed time, but I would think you would want to check to make sure...

No, I am not 100% sure, but I do recall having a group before that was a group of two owner-employees that dropped the group and were eligible for HIPAA since there was no COBRA option. I will double-check to make sure before doing anything, of course.

This group is turning into a lot of work.

Why not just submit the applications for a pre screen?
Lock the rates in and then go from there.

On a Mom and Pop group its very important that they have the payroll in place not just now but in the future. Because a group like this could get an audit by the carrier you put them with.

IN VA is there some type of HIPPA/Cobra or high risk pool plan?

Now from the carrier standpoint you will not get any favor points because they know what you are doing. Even though you work for the client you still have to do business with the carrier.

I would walk a way

Can small groups be declined in other states? I was told that in VA, they can't be....maybe that's the reason for the huge max rate-up. If the rate-up max was only 67% and you had a group with two people who both had cancer, that doesn't seem like a winning bet for the insurance company.

DOI regs here: max rate-up of 67%, but still group GI. The rate-up hurts both the group and the carrier, so no one wins - but both lose.

Now from the carrier standpoint you will not get any favor points because they know what you are doing. Even though you work for the client you still have to do business with the carrier.

I used to have a conscience when it came to dealing with carriers but I got over it. As far as small group is concerned, the carrier has the right to get in that market or not. If they jump in, they should anticipate adverse selection. If they don't like it, or price for it, that is their problem.

Aetna seems to try harder than anyone to not write a small group. Payroll records, no 1099, the way they calculate participation, all of it makes it almost impossible to write a group less than 5.

Even still, I do have a few groups with them.

I don't think I have a single group with less than 5 employees that is not running a negative loss ratio, but then, that is not my problem.

Back