Example of Selling Dental and Hospital Indemnity

zonk117

Expert
Can someone give me an example when selling dental insurance makes a lot of sense for a client?

I sell final Expense and medd supps, but I'm young and trying to branch out my education. It would be nice if someone could explain a few things like real basic stuff.

Where do you got to learn about selling dental and hospital indemnity?

IS THERE MONEY TO MAKE SELLING THESE? (Is it worth my time?)

Give a time when selling dental or hospital indemnity was great for a client to have. Would someone ever need hospital indemnity over a medical supplement plan?

Can someone give me an example when selling dental insurance makes a lot of sense for a client?

I sell final Expense and medd supps, but I'm young and trying to branch out my education. It would be nice if someone could explain a few things like real basic stuff.

Where do you got to learn about selling dental and hospital indemnity?

IS THERE MONEY TO MAKE SELLING THESE? (Is it worth my time?)

Give a time when selling dental or hospital indemnity was great for a client to have. Would someone ever need hospital indemnity over a medical supplement plan?

Many agents think that dental especially, and HIP'S are not a good buy for the consumer.

Dental plans don't sell very well in some of the southern states, because they don't have but 1 or 2 teefs. If you're going to sell dental, go with Central United Life(they're in the Manhattan Group). In my opinion, they have the best D/V/R(dental, vision and hearing)plan by far.

The HIP's are good to try fill the gaps of MAPD plans, but by the time you add the premium of the HIP to their MAPD, they might as well be paying for a Med Supp(unless they've got a 0 premium MAPD). There are so many companies that have HIP'S, I'll bet 1/3 of the Med Supp Carriers you use have HIP's. Just start studying the benefit and compare the benefits and prices.

Every market is different and I can only write with authority about the market and compensation in Connecticut. In Connecticut the best dental pays $35 FYC (first year commission) per person and $1 PMPM (per month per member) in renewals.

What I get paid per hour to sell dental makes it worthwhile to sell as an add on only. In another words I've already created rapport with the client, have all their information on file, and just sold them a health policy. Then I don't really have to sell the dental. I just mention it and give a brief explanation. I don't get much extra comp, but I don't spend that much extra time to sell the second policy either.

You are definitely not going to get rich selling dental at that comp level. However, I believe that the more policies I have in a household, the better the persistency is likely to be.

Think about it this way: There aren't a lot of stores that only sell ties. And there aren't a lot of stores that sell suits but don't sell ties.

I haven't sold indemnity plans in decades so I don't know what the comp is on those or how easy they are to sell. But I suspect that the above applies to those policies as well.

To take the time to create rapport just to sell a dental policy is a bad business decision. However to sell a guy a tie and a dress shirt after he just bought an expensive suit can be worthwhile.

But you mainly sell the ties so that you can sell more suits.

Every market is different and I can only write with authority about the market and compensation in Connecticut. In Connecticut the best dental pays $35 FYC (first year commission) per person and $1 PMPM (per month per member) in renewals.

What I get paid per hour to sell dental makes it worthwhile to sell as an add on only. In another words I've already created rapport with the client, have all their information on file, and just sold them a health policy. Then I don't really have to sell the dental. I just mention it and give a brief explanation. I don't get much extra comp, but I don't spend that much extra time to sell the second policy either.

You are definitely not going to get rich selling dental at that comp level. However, I believe that the more policies I have in a household, the better the persistency is likely to be.

Think about it this way: There aren't a lot of stores that only sell ties. And there aren't a lot of stores that sell suits but don't sell ties.

I haven't sold indemnity plans in decades so I don't know what the comp is on those or how easy they are to sell. But I suspect that the above applies to those policies as well.

To take the time to create rapport just to sell a dental policy is a bad business decision. However to sell a guy a tie and a dress shirt after he just bought an expensive suit can be worthwhile.

But you mainly sell the ties so that you can sell more suits.

CUL, who I mentioned. You can get the same for HIP(I haven't sold one in years either).

Last edited:
Back