Failure to Appoint

salgal5555

I worked for an independent Allstate agent for over 9 months. When I left to pursue my 220 license, I found out that I was never appointed with the FDFS. He will not sign the form that I need to prove and become legally appointed with the state.

Since I was new to the Insurance field, I never thought to ask. This situation is causing me to start over and take the 200 hour course to get my 220 license. (If I was appointed when I started, it would be 40 hr).

I have started an investigation with the state. Allstate Corporate told me that because he didn't give me "binding" classes, that he didn't need to appoint me. Of course, I was never offered this and didn't know anything about it.

How can an agent have producers selling Life, auto, HO without having them appointed under his 220 license?

Any thoughts/help with this situation would be appreciated.

Florida seems to have some strange rules on licensing, this whole question doesn't seem to apply elsewhere.

But not knowing the answer never stops me :)

If you didn't have binding authority (and Allstate says you didn't), then you probably didn't need to be appointed under his license. Now, in most states, you don't need to be appointed under another agent, just by the company, so its confusing to most of us.

Dan

Back