New 'authorization' if I switch to Blue Shield?

MartinJ

Expert
I used to see a dermatologist who was part of the Blue Cross network until Jan 2024. So, I'm an established patient. This dermatologist is part of the Blue Shield network, however. I would have to switch to Blue Shield in order to be covered if I visit this doctor. My question is, if I switch to Blue Shield, would I have to start all over again as far as going to a primary care provider to get an 'authorization' to see this dermatologist regarding a new issue such as suspected skin cancer or something like that? Or could I just call them up directly for an appointment?

I used to see a dermatologist who was part of the Blue Cross network until Jan 2024. So, I'm an established patient. This dermatologist is part of the Blue Shield network, however. I would have to switch to Blue Shield in order to be covered if I visit this doctor. My question is, if I switch to Blue Shield, would I have to start all over again as far as going to a primary care provider to get an 'authorization' to see this dermatologist regarding a new issue such as suspected skin cancer or something like that? Or could I just call them up directly for an appointment?
Who do you carry with now? MAPD?

Back