Can benefits be received if dementia patient forgets to pay premium?

srqtestemail

My mom recently died of dementia related conditions and, unbeknownst to us, she stopped payments for her many life insurance policies.
Someone told me that some benefits could still be claimed? They also said something about getting money back that was paid into the policy. If so, is there a time limit to claim this? ANything you could tell me about this would be much appreciated. thank you!
This was in North Carolina USA.
Thank you so much for your input.

My mom recently died of dementia related conditions and, unbeknownst to us, she stopped payments for her many life insurance policies.
Someone told me that some benefits could still be claimed? They also said something about getting money back that was paid into the policy. If so, is there a time limit to claim this? ANything you could tell me about this would be much appreciated. thank you!
This was in North Carolina USA.
Thank you so much for your input.

Have you called the companies to check if the policy(s) are still inforce? Either through policy loans or Non forfeiture?

Thanks for your reply...
I don't know what those mean (policy loans or Non forfeiture) but I will find out and post info. I know my brother called the companies and they basically said "you're out of luck" with trying to get them to pay but I have a friend who works in insurance who says that there is something in place that protects people when this happens.

100-1 says if they lapsed it’s irregardless of why it won’t pay the claim . Somebody could say they were in the hospital 90 days and they didn’t get the bill .If you make exceptions for 1 reason then why not other reasons .#1 that’s why you always put premiums on check draft so it’s automatically taken out . Also why wasn’t the family checking her mail to find stuff like this ?If she had a whole life with automatic premium loan the premiums would have come out if her cash value for the premium ,

100-1 says if they lapsed it’s irregardless of why it won’t pay the claim . Somebody could say they were in the hospital 90 days and they didn’t get the bill .If you make exceptions for 1 reason then why not other reasons .#1 that’s why you always put premiums on check draft so it’s automatically taken out . Also why wasn’t the family checking her mail to find stuff like this ?If she had a whole life with automatic premium loan the premiums would have come out if her cash value for the premium ,

Also secondary addressee.

Thanks for your reply...
I don't know what those mean (policy loans or Non forfeiture) but I will find out and post info. I know my brother called the companies and they basically said "you're out of luck" with trying to get them to pay but I have a friend who works in insurance who says that there is something in place that protects people when this happens.
The default non forfeiture value usually is extended term insurance meaning that for and extended period of time, usually several years if the policy was in force for any lenght of time, the policy will pay the full face amount.

Everyone is assuming she had whole life. Could just as well have been term which just cancels if you miss payments with no money back. Like the AARP New York Life term.

Back