Favorite BOP City Carriers

Oct 15, 2015

1. nyc2phi

nyc2phi Guru

State:
    New York
    Which carriers do you feel compete the best on main street, mom and pop risks i.e. convenience store, auto repair, small habitation, etc. in large cities i.e. Philadelphia.

I have one carrier that does well but interested in adding a second. The big name carriers like Travelers are horrible on BPP and or building coverage around here.

nyc2phi, Oct 15, 2015
  2. dean8287

dean8287 Expert

Harleysville, Donegal, and Selective. I am unsure of Harleysville's future though now that they were purchased by Nationwide.

dean8287, Oct 15, 2015
  3. nyc2phi

nyc2phi Guru

State:
    New York
    Thanks!

I've been told Harleysville will soon be just NW.

nyc2phi, Oct 15, 2015
  4. dean8287

dean8287 Expert

Yes, the plan is to be one brand by 2020

dean8287, Oct 15, 2015
  5. Italianik

Italianik Expert

MSA and Utica it seems do well up here on garages and body shops- but I hear they are getting hit on losses. I also hear Utica's coverage leaves a lot of gaps. Harleysville I see on Bops but they are not better than Erie on price/coverage, but they seem looser on u/w. But they brokers up here are so crooked they can't pee straight so it cold just be them misrating and lack of u/w- Who knows.

The Hartford seems to do well on CCP risks. I've seen then in the 5 boroughs on bigger porperties- I just put a $15k church with them and they crushed the current carrier.
    And travelers will always be a player- they seems to have again a much higher risk tolerance than Erie... And thier pricing seems to be ok.

Erie is great, but thier u/w box is somewhat tight....

6. CASouth

CASouth Expert

State:
    California
    I noticed here Captives like Sf Allstate Farmers always win in small BOPs so I stop writing them; before I tried to compete using the Hartford, CNA, Traveler or BAIC but SF would be cheaper 90% of the times, Zurich was the best few years back.

CASouth, Oct 16, 2015
  7. nyc2phi

nyc2phi Guru

State:
    New York
    Out here they don't win on small BOP which is good cause they are still a pain on PL.

nyc2phi, Oct 16, 2015