Favorite health carrier

Every state is different, but in GA GR has the best maternity benefit.

I offer them most of the time when maternity is an issue.

They still get a fair amount of my regular business, but not as much as they did before H1 started with their revamped portfolio.

Every state is different, but in GA GR has the best maternity benefit.

I offer them most of the time when maternity is an issue.

Am I the only agent who remembers GR pulling out of the state of GA three times in the last 15 years or so? Existing clients were left with out coverage on two occasions. That's a client to agent phone call you don't need.

GR pulling out of the state of GA three times in the last 15 years or so? Existing clients were left with out coverage on two occasions.

Left without coverage . . .

Are you certain?

I can say with certainty, when GR left GA in 2006 it was because the DOI wanted new verbiage and a filed policy (vs. association) in place.

They have left other states (LA for example) due to similar situations.

In GA they were gone for about 8 months. While not actively writing business, they continued to service and renew existing policies.

In LA it was different. The DOI would not allow them to renew in force policies. They refiled the same policy under UHC and it was accepted by the DOI. Existing GR policies aged off at renewal.

what would be the circumstances behind the other two GA pull-outs

I have no idea. If I had to guess I would say it was something similar, but that is just a guess.

I have only been writing individual major med for 4 yrs. Never paid much attention to that market.

Many carriers quit the business over the last 30 yrs. Some came back, others did not.

MOO pulled out and never looked back. So did MidSouth, Guardian, UnionMutual, Travelers and Penn Mutual.

CGI was in now they are, well, who knows?

American Republic was in, then they were out, now they are in again . . . kind of.

AMS has been in, and out, so many times it is hard to say.

Unicare was in, then they sold their block to BX.

Aetna was in, then they were out, now they are back in again.

Time was in, then, well, who knows what happened? Fortis, Assurant now Time again. Where were they in the interim? Can't say.

BX stays in, but not really. Current rates and underwriting make them dead in the water except for agents and policyholders that don't know any better. They may make a come back in a year or so. Hard to say.

KP has been steady in this market but apparently not so in others. They had a fiasco here a few yrs ago when they abruptly pulled their POS product. Seems they suddenly discovered it wasn't priced right.

Humana was all but dead but now they are committed to being a major player and look strong. At least for now.

Celtic never really figured out what they wanted to do and still don't know.

Name one major player that has been consistent over a stretch of time.

There are none.

When even the big names like MOO, Guardian, Travelers leave the market there is no one who can say with certainty who will stay and who will leave.

Two forces affect a carriers staying power. Only one is within their control.

Back