Filing a claim

davo1111

Hi,
A car ran through my fence(medical condition),neighbor witnesses it, knew the driver (it is a small town ) and contacted us at work. After a week or so the driver left a card with his name, claim number, and insurance agent name and company. I got a couple estimates, which took a while because everyone was booked up for the summer weather. After getting the estimates and still not hearing anything from his insurance company, I emailed them to his agent, not knowing what else to do with them. Almost two weeks and no response. What is the proper process? Seems like my agent should be handling this? What should be my next step? Thanks for your help

Call your homeowners company and file a claim with them. You stated that it was the result of a medical condition. You can call his carrier with the claim number and see what their response is but chances are they will deny responsibility based on the medical issue. Your homeowners carrier should be able to fix your fence. they may attempt to subrogate but I would not expect the other carrier to pay anything.

Seems like my agent should be handling this?

No. Your agent didn't sell you a pre-paid legal service. He sold you a policy that pays for the damage to your property and that's between you and your insurance company's claims department. All you have to do is make the call.

He might be nice enough to contact the other insurance company for you but he has no obligation to do so. That's also up to you.

Back