Final Expense: It's So Tough

NoFault

Expert
I am an agent with an agency that provides me direct mail leads. This week I got 10 leads to begin with, I didn't call them to set up the appointment, instead I went straight to their house. Out of the 10, I was only able to reach 4 of them with 4 days of work. 1 of the 4 claimed not to send in the information, 3 of the 4, told me to come back another time. Also, mostly those from the leads does not have any bank account and rather pay by money order, which my carriers does not permit..

thats because you are marketing final expense. Got some leads in today from T65 mailers (the one that talks about you turning 65 and open enrollment) and out of 10 contacts I made I set 8 appointments for next week.

Out of these 8appts I can probably sell 5-6 of them and probably cross sell final expense ATLEAST once. Also, Im sure I will eventually get a hold of the rest of the ones I didn't get a hold of today and more leads are coming in too

thats because you are marketing final expense. Got some leads in today from T65 mailers (the one that talks about you turning 65 and open enrollment) and out of 10 contacts I made I set 8 appointments for next week.

Out of these 8appts I can probably sell 5-6 of them and probably cross sell final expense ATLEAST once. Also, Im sure I will eventually get a hold of the rest of the ones I didn't get a hold of today and more leads are coming in too

Wow....8 appointments out of 10 contacts seems very good. The leads must be very good given your rate. Did you mail the letters yourself or did the leads company do it also?

I am an agent with an agency that provides me direct mail leads. This week I got 10 leads to begin with, I didn't call them to set up the appointment, instead I went straight to their house. Out of the 10, I was only able to reach 4 of them with 4 days of work. 1 of the 4 claimed not to send in the information, 3 of the 4, told me to come back another time. Also, mostly those from the leads does not have any bank account and rather pay by money order, which my carriers does not permit..

You are most likely being "given" direct mail leads. I'm sure you are paying dearly for them in having to accept a greatly reduced amount of commission. How much are you getting? 50%, 60%, as high as 70%? The absolute minimum you should be getting is 90% to 95%.

I have run thousands of direct mail "leads" in the past, all with similar results. In my opinion they are the absolute worst when trying to sell Med Supps or FE.

Or, let me put it this way. I would rather go to the junk yard barefooted and kick broken bottles and bricks than to use direct mail "leads".:yes:

Learn to generate your own leads for Med Supps and then cross sell FE to your new Med Supp clients.

If you would like to talk about it give me a call.

WHen I fill out a lead card asking for more info, I don't want the agent just to show up on my door. Hell, I'm busy most of the time and you would only make me mad or have to come back. I hope you lead card has their phone numbers, and give them a call 1st.

Reaching only 4 leads at home in 4 days of "no announcement drop by's" is most UNusual. In 4 days of "drop by's" you should have contacted at least 15 if you are working a FULL day. If Ms. Jones is not home when you "drop by" knock on the neighbor's door and see if the neighbor knows when Ms. Jones MIGHT be home. The neighbor may tell you....she's in the hospital right now....she's out of town for 2 weeks....she doesn't usually get home till after 6pm....etc.

While you are at this neighbor's house ask "by the way, did you mail your card in yet?" (while showing them Ms. Jones's card). The neighbor most likely will say "I don't think I received one of those cards". Then you say "well while I'm here I might as well share this information with you too".

If you would like an opportunity selling FE 100% over the phone, no seeing prospect, no wet signature, and able to work 20-30 leads per week EVERY week then contact me. But ONLY if you are looking for a career change, are coachable, and will be 110% committed to our program.

Hard for the law of large numbers to come to the surface working just 10 leads per week.

I know I didn't just read that. So you appear at the house without any notification. If they don't answer you start banging on neighbor's doors to try to find out what's going on.

Wow, I'm rarely speechless.

I know I didn't just read that. So you appear at the house without any notification. If they don't answer you start banging on neighbor's doors to try to find out what's going on.

Wow, I'm rarely speechless.

You seem to exaggerate negatively what I posted. I do EXACTLY as I posted. Worked for me when I worked in the field for 7 1/2 yrs. Last 3 1/2 yrs. I've been selling FE over the phone...make me more $$$ for the same time and effort invested as compared to working leads in the field.

If you call the leads 1st (I'm talking ONLY about FE) you will have a higher% to not remember sending the card in, won't set appointment, resist even meeting with you, etc. If you just show up at the door unannounced with the lead card in your hand you will get into more houses and make more presentations. Some of the "no's" on the phone will be a "yes" if just show up.

However, an experienced and SMOOTH ON THE PHONE agent would be better to use the phone than just drive by as he/she will make more $$ per year leveraging their experience using the phone to set appointments.

General rule: Brand new agents just getting their feet wet would be better off just showing up unannounced. More seasoned agents would be better off using the phone to make appointments. New agents will have it rough first 2 weeks using either method.

If you have an appointment you scheduled by phone "not be there" you should definitely knock on the neighbor's door. Same thing is true if doing a "drive by".

"Healthagent" if you disagree ok. I'm speaking from my personal and my sub-agents experience.

Wow....8 appointments out of 10 contacts seems very good. The leads must be very good given your rate. Did you mail the letters yourself or did the leads company do it also?

Lead company, I've done mailers that say "the president has announced changes to medicare" and all you get is a bunch of people who don't remember sending it in and most of them are very poor.

The leads I did this time (well 2 of us are doing it together) say something like "you have an upcoming 65th birtday and you have one open enrollement..." .

Today I contacted about 5 more and made 4 appts. My next week is completely full

Lead company, I've done mailers that say "the president has announced changes to medicare" and all you get is a bunch of people who don't remember sending it in and most of them are very poor.

The leads I did this time (well 2 of us are doing it together) say something like "you have an upcoming 65th birtday and you have one open enrollement..." .

Today I contacted about 5 more and made 4 appts. My next week is completely full

I have run thousands of direct mail "leads" for Med Supps and stopped purchasing them years and years ago. To me they are a total waste of money. I have found it a lot easier and much more cost effective to generate my own leads.

I also no longer market to those T65. The sale is much more difficult and too time consuming than marketing to those 67 to 78.

However, the language you are using for T65 is the best I have ever seen. I would word it just a little differently. I would have it say:

"You are about to have your 65th birthday. You will have many more birthdays but you will only have one chance to get a Medicare Supplement policy under Open Enrollment. Don't let this opportunity pass you by.

For more information either return this card or call our toll-free number, 555-555-5555. You are under no obligation when you request the information."

I might even try marketing to T65 again. Good job!

Back