Final Expense Training Part 3 of 12

Frank Stastny was upfront about this. His med supp training sort of stopped after the opening of the phone call. He said the goal was to get the prospect to relax and converse so an agent can proceed to get needed info from them (mainly who they were with and what they were paying). As you know, he called it giving "good phone" and said that it can't be taught. Like you say, some get it with experience, some never get it at all.

I really don't beleive it will come with experience. I does get better with experience if it's already there.

Some people can overcome that lack of read and react skills with just hard work. I know of an agent that does just that. He's terrible at sales but he works his ass off and writes a lot of business.

It's like basketball. The very best are read and react players. We havea point guard at UK now that's a fantastic player. Skilled in every phase of the game. He will run any play that's drawn up and do anything he's told. But, when the play breaks down and he has to react, he's terrible. That alone will keep him from being great.

I really don't beleive it will come with experience. I does get better with experience if it's already there.

Some people can overcome that lack of read and react skills with just hard work. I know of an agent that does just that. He's terrible at sales but he works his ass off and writes a lot of business.

It's like basketball. The very best are read and react players. We havea point guard at UK now that's a fantastic player. Skilled in every phase of the game. He will run any play that's drawn up and do anything he's told. But, when the play breaks down and he has to react, he's terrible. That alone will keep him from being great.

I hear you. Played ball myself. I would set the pick, but always forgot to roll.:1err:

My perspective has always been:

1) Door knocking for appointments versus phoning for appointments are two important yet different skill-sets each agent should learn.

2) Having pre-set appointments done by yourself or another person is an important way to (a) mentally set up your day to succeed, and (b), target the higher opportunity lead.

Considering that, if an agent has doubts, reservations, minimal time, etc., to dial for his own appointments, I am in complete approval of the new agent utilizing an appointment setter.

Like Gooner said -- $15/kept appointment ain't bad at all; most new agents are getting 20-25 leads weekly, so kept appointments will only cost him $150 or so.

Plus, he'll undoubtedly have time between appointments to door-knock those that didn't answer, which is the best utilization of the agent's time.

If it takes an extra $150 for the agent to get out the door each week and work, I am all for it.

Great post. I agree that door knocking is really important but having those set appointments IMHO is worth every dime. Not getting people at home, doors closed in your face can kill the agent if you only door knock. Getting out the door to just door knock is a tough task. Haha. I love door knocking on Sundays and sats though. Catch almost everyone at home. I am a firm believer if you get them at home you have a 7 out of 10 chance to get in the house which is the toughest hurdle in this business.just tell him/her it will only take 5 mins after he or she bitches and moans about it not being a good time or try to set an appointment if they will not budge. The non budgers are the worst are will usually just waste more of your time by making up a fake appt date but you never know, I have a 3200 ap case that is still on the books that was a reschedule at the door.

Last edited:
Back