First day cold calling a FLOP

...set goals set 2, appts and a deal per day. Or if that doesn't work fail faster.

So many agents think they are "pedaling as fast as they can" now.

I use to hire and train agents. For most of them a 4 hour day of actually working on selling insurance, not just thinking about it on the golf course or while running errands, was an exhausting day.

When I started a ten hour day was like a vacation. If I sold a policy or two in the morning I figured I was "on a roll" and would hit it even harder in the afternoon.

I sold yellow page ads for an independent publisher and kirbys. Just make it fun. Tell yourself you love cold calling. Say your average commission is $500 and it takes you 50 calls. It's $10/call. STICK AND STAY MAKE IT PAY!

UPDATE:

Well, I made cold calls the day I wrote this post and, well, I tried it a couple more times and, well, I decided "I HATE IT!!"

I hate is so much that I hired someone to do it for me!!! In fact, I don't even make her cold call. I buy leads and she calls those leads and she sets up appointments for me.

I'm working 12 hours a day, 3-4 days and all I do is knock on the door, say I'm here for the appointment and I ask if I can come in ...

Ahhhhhhh!!! So much easier.

Sure, it cost me $3000 a month to do this but it's worth it!

I'm still pocketing three times as much money as I made as a truck driver, working 16 hour days, 7 days a week!!!

Having appointments made for me, makes it more like a real job. I wake up in the morning, look at my schedule, print it out, print out my leads and off I go knocking.

the leads are only costing me around $10 and my appointment setter only makes money if I get in the door. It only takes one sale a week to pay her and another sale to pay for my leads. That's a piece of cake.

I made 42 sales last month, so that is 36 for me (minus some cancellations and rejected apps).

That's my current story!!!

And I don't think I could ever be convinced otherwise. I will spend money any day if it makes me a lot of money. It's like someone saying, "I will give you $100 for that $5 bill." Would you do it?

Hell yeah!!!

Last edited:
The best line to work into your cold call introduction is "Would you consider a competitive bid on your medicare supplement (or health insurance or whatever else you are selling) plan?" That opens the door to discuss what they have now and what rate they are paying and any problems they might have had with the coverage. People always seem to respond to more benefits for less money and few realize that rates are fixed instead of negotionable.

How long did it take to make 50 calls?

While cold calling may not be the preferred marketing choice of many, it works for some agents.

Have you internalized the script and made it your own? You may just need more practice with it.

50 calls is a very small sample. You should be able to make 25 calls an hour. Stop goofing off between calls and crank for an hour non-stop, then get up and clear you head for five minutes.

When you get someone on the phone, you should set the appointment and be off the phone in five minutes. Stop trying to be their friend and waxing about Alabama. You're a busy agent on a mission to avoid living in the van down by the river.

Set a new goal -- 200 dials a day.

I cold call after sending a letter. For every 10 I reach I get 3 appts. For Every three appontments I make 2 sales. So when I reach the 7 that don't give me appts I still hypothetically make 50 bucks just for listening to them tell me tell me there not interested, and I am one prospect closer to getting the appt. Thats what keeps me going.

$3,000 a month:skeptical:
The more I spend, the more I make. 3k is the most I would have to spend.
I pay beteen $700 - $1200 a month on leads. I pay mt appt setter $10 per appt I get into, plus 5% of the sale .... so it can add up. If I pay her a lot, I make a lot. We both win. The more she makes, the more motivated she is and I have found that if I reward her with bonuses, she works tiressly to get me 20-25 appts a week. Its working so far!

I figure this, it may be smarter to generate my own leads and appts but, for now, while I get my feet wet and my confidence up, this gets me into the insurance biz!

Back