First day with the Telemarketer

More effective:

Hi this is Ashley Smith (ALWAYS use a last name, it builds more trust) with Loozeeanna Health Whatever. We've recently released a special report that reveals the 3 biggest mistakes that business owners make when buying health insurance...and we'd like to email you a free copy...what is your email address?

Write a report (keep it educational, not salesy), make a pdf, email it to them.

Keep a file of the the names/numbers/addresses. Call 'em back to see if they have any questions on the material. Keep drippin' on 'em (email, postcard - just as long as it's CONSISTENT.

When the time is right, they'll call you.

Good luck!

What if they don't have any questions on the material. I assume you have additional follow up questions? Can you explain your process a little more deeply?

As far as a "numbers game", I make the assumption (and yes I know what that can do) that you have an effective technique, but if you don't make the calls (numbers) you don't have the audience for the sale. Calls can be used loosely to mean, phone, internet, seminars. etc.. You have to do something to generate the numbers to make the sale. That was was point in saying "numbers game"

Telemarketing is not a numbers game. If you have a bad pitch and call 2,000 people you'll just be bad 2,000 times.

Be effective. Paul is right about telling prospects that you're just gonna send them some type of information - then follow up. That works. When I call I'm just looking for people interested enough to send 'em info - then I email 'em and mail out a letter.

If you're trying to sell them on getting a plan while on the 1st call you're gonna get your a** handed to you.

K1 I meant to ask you, is there a reason she is just calling on 1-4 employee companies and not a bit larger? I was just curious because it doesn't seem that the employers with say 10-15 would be a lot more complicated (as far as insurance) albeit maybe a tad harder to get in the door. Although it may be a little harder to get in the door the revenue per sale just doubled or sometimes tripled depending on the group make up (# of families insured etc..) Just curious.

Telemarketing is not a numbers game. If you have a bad pitch and call 2,000 people you'll just be bad 2,000 times.

Give me your weakest pitch and I will get leads for you if I make 2000 calls... how many, dunno... What I do know is that add in the variables I spoke of... experience, polish, voice and knowledge of what you are actually trying to accomplish on that first call and the totals go up...

The old saying, even a broken clock is right twice a day holds true here... even the worst telemarketer will step in ---- once in awhile as well. It IS a numbers game... always was, always will be... but just like the hitter with a .300 average and the hitter with the .198 average... they have to step up to the plate first (make the calls)...

So my advice, if you want to embark on telemarketing, make as many calls as possible... fine tune your script, change it if needed, don't scream into the phone, talk normally and with authority and know what it is you want to accomplish on this first call!

The more calls you make the better you will become at this... similar to the hitter that takes a lot of batting practice... they usually get better.

And if you don't, you can always hire someone to do it for you.

Hope this helps.

You're correct to a point. Making tons of calls, even if the pitch sucks, will yield some results as you run into people with naturally high interest.

However, any telemarketer is gonna quit after seeing lacking results and no agent will hang in there for the long haul with an ineffective pitch.

I've seen many agents never improve even though they contract more and more people - which includes calling leads - not just cold calling.

Sometimes the fear of contacting people is simply too strong and they never find any comfort level. For those people Walmart has a great assistant manager program.

Last edited:
You're correct to a point. Making tons of calls, even if the pitch sucks, will yield some results as you run into people with naturally high interest.

However, any telemarketer is gonna quit after seeing lacking results and no agent will hang in there for the long haul with an ineffective pitch.

Lotsa truth. Depends too on what you're trying to accomplish.

Are you using the "hunter" mentality, or the "farmer" mentality?

My goal is to have to "interrupt" only once. I even have my two gals "apologize" for the interruption...I'm just trying to find out if they buy what I sell, and get permission to market to them.

Less static, less stress. More business.

I've always taken time to get business but most new agents have no patience and throw in the towel too quickly.

My local campaign is just gaining steam 8 months into it. My average time to close a telemarketed lead is 2 weeks and most agents give up after the 1st follow up call.

I won't even call my telemarketed leads until they receive my letter first. The best clients are when trust has been established and you get to the "ok, so how do I sign up?" point. Most agents never reach that point since they're taught to "close" people.

It's priceless for me to slap a flyer on a counter and be yelled at before I hit the door:

"Hey, so you do health insurance? Listen, my rate just went..."

I'm giving a presentation in front of my chamber in a few weeks and it's just gonna be informational. I already know the members of my chamber who are "hard pitchers" and me and most other's avoid them.

I've found it much better to let business come to me - even when cold-call telemarketing - although that sounds odd. I'm just asking to send out info - then I build interest from there.

Come spring I'll be at local events and won't be doing any type of interruptive marketing.

Back