First Page on Google

When someone finds me on the internet (as opposed to a referral from an old customer or another agent) I generally don't even want to work with them. I've got so many referrals coming through trusted relationships, I don't have time to waste with looky lou's that are going to come in off google and shop me against 4 other agents. No thank you.

When someone finds me on the internet (as opposed to a referral from an old customer or another agent) I generally don't even want to work with them. I've got so many referrals coming through trusted relationships, I don't have time to waste with looky lou's that are going to come in off google and shop me against 4 other agents. No thank you.
I agree! Back in the early days of the internet, if somebody searched “Health Insurance Virginia” or “Health Insurance VA”, I was the 2nd listing. I got loads of quote requests, but not a single sale. I suspected they were just shopping me against their own local agent. Way too much work with no ROI at all. I ended up shutting down my health website altogether, and dropping all of my health carriers but one (just in case an existing client requested it).

Last edited:
You might find it quite fascinating to discover what it truly means to rank first in Google search results, especially in today's highly competitive landscape. However, I do agree that achieving that coveted first-page position for just $99 is quite a challenge, unless you're targeting a very niche or rarely searched query.

You might find it quite fascinating to discover what it truly means to rank first in Google search results, especially in today's highly competitive landscape. However, I do agree that achieving that coveted first-page position for just $99 is quite a challenge, unless you're targeting a very niche or rarely searched query.

Whatever you say, sir-bots-a-lot.

Being on the first page of Google makes me millions of dollars per year. It's worth it if you rank for the right keywords.

That said, the SEO services industry is shady as hell. Most of them (95%+) are a complete scam especially ones that make a promise like being on the first page of Google.

Most SEO services price their services in the $200-$800 per month range which is enough so that most business owners can afford the monthly cost and they can afford to not get an ROI if said service doesn't work out the way they want (which it does not).

It's also incredibly important to remember that there is a HUGE difference between national and local SEO. You can have massive success (and it doesn't take long) with local SEO by just getting reviews on Google, optimizing your GMB profile, ensuring your website says things like "Medicare is in Houston Texas" and ensuring your NAP stuff is done correctly. The thing is, there are free guides to succeed with local SEO. You don't need to pay anyone for it let alone hundreds of dollars per month. Here's a really good free guide, here's another and another. Anyone who follows those guides will succeed with local SEO and it doesn't cost a dime.

If someone wants to invest in a worthwhile SEO service (for national SEO), expect to pay high four to five digits monthly. Anything less and you're dealing with a company that won't move the needle and produce an ROI.

Lastly, if you're reading this and actively paying a company a 3 digit monthly retainer and all you get for it is a report showing stuff like your review count, keyword tracking etc, they are taking you. Drop them now. You are getting nothing of value.

Being on the first page of Google makes me millions of dollars per year. It's worth it if you rank for the right keywords.

That said, the SEO services industry is shady as hell. Most of them (95%+) are a complete scam especially ones that make a promise like being on the first page of Google.

Most SEO services price their services in the $200-$800 per month range which is enough so that most business owners can afford the monthly cost and they can afford to not get an ROI if said service doesn't work out the way they want (which it does not).

It's also incredibly important to remember that there is a HUGE difference between national and local SEO. You can have massive success (and it doesn't take long) with local SEO by just getting reviews on Google, optimizing your GMB profile, ensuring your website says things like "Medicare is in Houston Texas" and ensuring your NAP stuff is done correctly. The thing is, there are free guides to succeed with local SEO. You don't need to pay anyone for it let alone hundreds of dollars per month. Here's a really good free guide, here's another and another. Anyone who follows those guides will succeed with local SEO and it doesn't cost a dime.

If someone wants to invest in a worthwhile SEO service (for national SEO), expect to pay high four to five digits monthly. Anything less and you're dealing with a company that won't move the needle and produce an ROI.

Lastly, if you're reading this and actively paying a company a 3 digit monthly retainer and all you get for it is a report showing stuff like your review count, keyword tracking etc, they are taking you. Drop them now. You are getting nothing of value.

Awesome post! Any recommendations on optimizing GMB profile? I’m finding its hard to have my google business pop up when someone searches for my business name...even when putting in the zip code it doesn’t come up. I think not having a business address is hurting me (I put that I meet my clients outside of my home) since I dont have an external office right yet.

Back