Florida 36 yr old male needs insurance...advice please

As Tahoe said, there are plenty of 20-30 yr term policies for which he may qualify. With the small amount money that he is willing to contribute monthly, term life simplified issue should be a lay up. More importantly, neither of you seem to be aware of his real problem(s) and your opportunities.
He has 3 school age children, which means they rely on him for financial support, at least through age 18. Ask him, how much money does HE think is needed to support them, if he were no longer here to provide. Does he want to provide for them to go to college, or are the kids on their own after they turn 18? However he envisions supporting them, this is the basis of his life insurance need; and, this need has nothing to do with whether or not he can afford it. Which brings me to my next point.
Once again, he has a wife and 3 school age children dependent upon him for their survival. He is a waste water operator. According to google, he averages apprx. $45,000 annual income. There is no way I would accept him telling me that he can only afford to contribute $20-$30/month. If all he's willing to sacrifice is less than 1% of his income for the survival of his kids, he really doesn't care what happens to them if dies. Of course, he doesn't know what he doesn't know, which is why you have to ask questions in order for him to see what you see.
Ask him how the family will continue to survive without his income. Ask him how he feels about what they will have to go through; what they will lack; how they will struggle; and, most importantly, does he care. If he responds the way a concerned responsible father and breadwinner would, he would commit whatever amount is necessary to give him peace of mind and feel better about himself.
Thus, if you identify the problems he does not see, it creates a win/win opportunity for you both. For him, you solved his problem. For you, more premium dollars should mean more commissions. The way you are currently going about it, he looks at you as just another insurance salesman who is willing to accept whatever he gives you. I bet he thinks his $30 is more of a help to support you, than he see's you benefitting him. Worry about getting him qualified and the right type of insurance, once you can get him to admit his problem is bigger and more serious than he thinks.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, titeye. There is a lot of good information there. Regarding this young man, he may, but I doubt he earns anywhere near the $45,000 you mentioned. He works in central Florida for a small private company who does sewer work mostly for campgrounds/RV parks.
I referred him elsewhere.
You make good points throughout here. I will remember them for the future.

Just my opinion but 5 days in a hospital for an allergic reaction in the last year is not a minor problem.

Whenever people tell me the don't know the reason for a significant hospitilization, the aps normally does. The outcomes are seldom positive.

Thanks for your response, NewbieNewbie. I wonder about that, also. I know I will eventually learn the results.

Life Hawk...what do you mean by...if fu won't go? Do you have a good plan for him?

Sorry just getting back to you. I used jargon, sorry about that. FU would mean "full under writing".

Just my opinion but 5 days in a hospital for an allergic reaction in the last year is not a minor problem.

Yes, that would be a major issue.

As to cost, you may want to sale the "need" a bit more. Perhaps his wife would be the one who would understand that much better than he does.

I learned awhile back you never "one leg" on a guy. They don't make financial decisions like they might want you to think they do. "On leger" on a woman on the other hand, is a different ball game.

Hi. I have been doing Medicare and a little final expense. Any info welcome...I don't see myself writing this as it is not my area of expertise, and I will be looking for an agent for him.

36 yr old male, 5'8", 195 lbs., married, employed, non-tobacco. 3 school age children. Can afford $20-$30/month right now, ready to enroll.

Does not have primary doctor. He will go if necessary to obtain insurance. What he does have here...is 2 instances of allergic reactions to unknown substances...one last June 2020 treated in urgent care with epi pen, and one this year that resulted in 5-day hospitalization. Still unknown source.

Term with convertible feature is all I know enough to think of. Please advise. Thank you.
The unknown scares the heck out of underwriters so the allergic reaction might make it difficult to get a FU plan or even a simplified issue plan that asks about recent hospitalizations.. He might qualify for United Home Life's term as they don't ask as long as he has not been hospitalized more than two times in the last 12 months.

Back