Flyers for part D and supplements

Just a word of caution about your flyer that mentions Advantage Plans. CMS has very strict guidelines on what can and can't be said in print about Advantage plans. I sincerely hope you have gotten approval from CMS on the content of your "flyer". If you haven't done so CMS can pull your certification with the companies you represent.

I have been told that there are those out there who will turn in agents not complying with CMS guidelines.

Regarding your "flyer" on Med Supp plans, you make a statement that I don't understand. It is: "Are you looking at a Medigap plan part F or G?" I'm not aware of a "part F or G". Don't you mean Medicare Supplement or Medigap Plans F or G?

I guess I type the way I talk -- I have always referred to medigap plans as plan part f or g.... so if i am not technically correct on that -- well you know i am from texas....... the wyoming seniors understand me :)

and for complying with guidelines -- i have not said anything about a medadvantage plan except for asking if they know what it is...
I have taken this flyer to the department of insurance here in Cheyenne and they see nothing wrong with it... and as long as i have listed my license number on the flyer i am in compliance with my state

and on the first flyer -- it was for the continental care policy for either seniors or underage.... i distribute those to businesses --

so again what works for me may not work for you

Mary,

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

However, if I may be constructive a little bit. First, have you actually used these flyers with success?

1. These flyers are not eye-catching at all. Why not use a little color? They do not catch the reader's attention imho.
2. The information does not flow properly, making it confusing to understand. Are you marketing Part D? Individual Health? Medicare Supps? MA? Pick one.
3. Nix the "plan part f" verbage as it is not correct.

most importantly...

4. Even if your DOI has approved these flyers they are still not CMS compliant. I also would caution against using them at all.

Mary,

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

However, if I may be constructive a little bit. First, have you actually used these flyers with success?

1. These flyers are not eye-catching at all. Why not use a little color? They do not catch the reader's attention imho.
2. The information does not flow properly, making it confusing to understand. Are you marketing Part D? Individual Health? Medicare Supps? MA? Pick one.
3. Nix the "plan part f" verbage as it is not correct.

most importantly...

4. Even if your DOI has approved these flyers they are still not CMS compliant. I also would caution against using them at all.

Good thoughts. The DOI does not speak for CMS.

Does anyone know how CMS feels about a cover letter that you mail out along with the Medicare Advantage plan info. Are they so strict you can't send a letter that says...Dear Mrs. Jones: Enclosed is the information you requested on blah blah blah companies Medicare advantage plan. If you'd like to enroll, your coverage can take effect 7-1-07, when you go on Medicare.......etc. etc. etc.

Does a cover letter that briefly goes over the info cause a problem?

I have been told that anything and everything that you put in writing regarding Advantage plans and/or Part D MUST BE APPROVED BY CMS (Center for Medicare/Medicaid Services).

There are approved letters available and they, I have been told, are the only thing you can send.

However, if I were you I wouldn't take any one's word for anything unless it came from CMS. I would go to CMS for that kind of information. Is it worth losing your appointment for Advantages plans? Saying "Joe Blow said it was ok" isn't going to get you off the hook. Joe may have lost his appointment also but failed to mention that.

What year is this?

Seriously, I don't have a clue other than what "I have heard". Again, your best bet is to call CMS. There are too many people who I think are "making it up as they go along" instead of producing something in writing.

That statement is not directed to anyone on this discussion board regarding Advantage plans.

Does anyone know how CMS feels about a cover letter that you mail out along with the Medicare Advantage plan info. Are they so strict you can't send a letter that says...Dear Mrs. Jones: Enclosed is the information you requested on blah blah blah companies Medicare advantage plan. If you'd like to enroll, your coverage can take effect 7-1-07, when you go on Medicare.......etc. etc. etc.

Does a cover letter that briefly goes over the info cause a problem?

A cover letter going over the info may cause a problem, although a phone call would not, provided you have an existing relationship with the member. Attaching a sticky note saying "here is the information you requested" probably is ok. At least that's what my old manager told me.

Back