Former LH Agent Needs Guidance

I asked question #3 recently at a company's claim department. They usually pay within 24 hours of receiving the "State Death Certificate". Not within 24 hours at death. So lets assume your policyholder dies, his policy is over 24 months (non contestable). The family can pay for the funeral costs get the burial done and then get the death certificate to file the claim and get the claims check. Or they can assign the policy to the funeral home to take care of the burial. The insurance company will then pay the funeral home and if any balance the beneficiaries get it. Now agents just say XYZ company wiil pay check within 24 hours, without explaining under what conditions. Would love to hear from the Funeral Directors or those agents that assist with claims on a regular basis.

Certain companies do not require death certificates and do actually pay the non contestable claims within 24 to 48 hours.

Most if not all of those companies have a pre-need division.

ForeThought and Lincoln Heritage are two of them. There are probably a dozen more that mainly do pre-need.

Some companies pay wrap a death claims on their preneed policies but do not pay the rapid claim without a death certificate on their final expense policies. TransAmerica, Columbian, and SNL are probably like that. TransAmerica for sure. Not certain on the other two.

Yes, I have seen LH pay within 24 hours of death without a death certificate. I've seen dozens paid within 24 hours of death when the policy is assigned.

No magic needed. That's how it works.

As for those other numbers, they are not the percentage of contestable claims paid. They are the percentage of claims paid. That includes those numbers from Settlers. That's the percentage of all claims.

It has been presented here in the past that settlers is the only company that will let you know that number. But the truth is that settlers will not tell you either. Nor will they tell you number of contestable claims filed so you can do your own math.

Any non contestable claim in the USA can be paid within 24 hours. Doesn't matter the company.

Maybe you don't understand what I am saying. Show me with a link etc that LH pays all claims WITHOUT a certified death certificate?

If you look at LH website and go to "file a claim" they will tell you that you do need a death certificate.

So magician. I'm not talking about some 2,000 to 5,000 death claim LH paid out just to not contest in court and just pay the claim to not fight it due to legal fees etc. I'm talk about your 10,000 to 35,000 claims. So your telling this forum that LH is so GOD loving that it will pay claims without a state certified death certificate to any funeral home who makes a claim? Even if there is no "body" in the funeral home? I don't get your logic? Please do show us. Maybe I made the mistake and left the company because I found out the truth and I should be going back to overpriced policies over priced recycled leads low renewals low contracts one product and totally slavery?

Settlers does all there underwriting upfront with a require POS and MIB. LH dosent do a MIB so clean sheeting is easy to just make a quick commission because again those agents can be termed for low or no production. Sounds a bit like slavery to me!

Settler life can post publicly claims paid in 2015 and it was 99.05% claims paid. Can LH show us there numbers? Hmmmm I wonder why?????

Did you go onto Settlers life website and go to "why we exits" the proof is right in front of your nose. Those LH agents are not writing pre-need plans and you know that! That basic FE they are selling so you do need a state Certified death certificate for those 10k and up polices to pay out.

Last edited:
I cn see why no company would unilaterally release their percentage of claims paid on contestable policies only.. If that number were 80%, the competition agent would be running around telling prospects, "See they only pay 80% of their claims" even though the actual total paid claim number was 99%

----------

Maybe you don't understand what I am saying. Show me with a link etc that LH pays all claims WITHOUT a certified death certificate?

If you look at LH website and go to "file a claim" they will tell you that you do need a death certificate.

So magician. I'm not taking about some 2,000 to 5,000 death claim LH paid out just to not contest on court and just pay the claim to not fight it due to legal fees etc. I'm talk about you 10,000 to 35,000 claims. So your telling this forum that LH is so GOD loving that it will pay claims without a state certified death certificate to any funeral home who makes a claim? Even if there is no "body" in the funeral home? I don't get your logic? Please show us. Maybe I made the mistake and left the company because I found out the truth and I should be going back to overpriced policies over priced recycled leads low renewals low contracts one product and totally slavery?

The funeral home director has to certify he has the body so no, they won't pay" if there is no body in the funeral home."

Several companies over the years have paid out FE claims with a copy of the obituary or a certification from the funeral home.. It is not anything new.

And, don't fool yourself that companies will always pay a small claim because it is cheaper than going to court. It doesn't cost them all that much as they have the attorney's either on salary or retainer so they are paying them anyway and court costs are minimal in small claims court which only have to be paid by them if they loose..

So magician. I'm not taking about some 2,000 to 5,000 death claim LH paid out just to not contest on court and just pay the claim to not fight it due to legal fees etc. I'm talk about you 10,000 to 35,000 claims. So your telling this forum that LH is so GOD loving that it will pay claims without a state certified death certificate to any funeral home who makes a claim? Even if there is no "body" in the funeral home? I don't get your logic? Please show us. Maybe I made the mistake and left the company because I found out the truth and I should be going back to overpriced policies over priced recycled leads low renewals low contracts one product and totally slavery?

It has nothing to do with them being a great company. But yes, I've had $10K and $15K LH policies that I wrote paid within 24 hours of death. I don't need a link to know what happened. But the FCGS does say exactly that. And that's only with the FCGS. I've also had 5 Star noncontestable claims pay half of the death benefit within 24 hours without a death certificate. Just as they put in writing they will do.

Again, I'm talking about assignment. Not magic. And the policy has to be noncontestable. I just had a death claim on an RNA policyholder. The policy was 5 years old. The family assigned the policy to the funeral home and they were paid the next day. The family still doesn't have the death certificate. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to get a death certificate here.

Happens everyday that policies get paid within 24 hours. if you left LH for that reason then I guess you did leave for the wrong reason?

There's far better reasons to leave LH.:yes:

i cn see why no company would unilaterally release their percentage of claims paid on contestable policies only.. If that number were 80%, the competition agent would be running around telling prospects, "see they only pay 80% of their claims" even though the actual total paid claim number was 99%

----------

the funeral home director has to certify he has the body so no, they won't pay" if there is no body in the funeral home."

several companies over the years have paid out fe claims with a copy of the obituary or a certification from the funeral home.. It is not anything new.

And, don't fool yourself that companies will always pay a small claim because it is cheaper than going to court. It doesn't cost them all that much as they have the attorney's either on salary or retainer so they are paying them anyway and court costs are minimal in small claims court which only have to be paid by them if they loose..

got em!! Got em!! Settlers has there links etc. what your saying is just hear say. If a client is looking on this forum and did there homework they would agree to show proof.

Last edited:
Maybe you don't understand what I am saying. Show me with a link etc that LH pays all claims WITHOUT a certified death certificate? If you look at LH website and go to "file a claim" they will tell you that you do need a death certificate. So magician. I'm not talking about some 2,000 to 5,000 death claim LH paid out just to not contest in court and just pay the claim to not fight it due to legal fees etc. I'm talk about your 10,000 to 35,000 claims. So your telling this forum that LH is so GOD loving that it will pay claims without a state certified death certificate to any funeral home who makes a claim? Even if there is no "body" in the funeral home? I don't get your logic? Please do show us. Maybe I made the mistake and left the company because I found out the truth and I should be going back to overpriced policies over priced recycled leads low renewals low contracts one product and totally slavery? Settlers does all there underwriting upfront with a require POS and MIB. LH dosent do a MIB so clean sheeting is easy to just make a quick commission because again those agents can be termed for low or no production. Sounds a bit like slavery to me! Settler life can post publicly claims paid in 2015 and it was 99.05% claims paid. Can LH show us there numbers? Hmmmm I wonder why????? Did you go onto Settlers life website and go to "why we exits" the proof is right in front of your nose. Those LH agents are not writing pre-need plans and you know that! That basic FE they are selling so you do need a state Certified death certificate for those 10k and up polices to pay out.

All non-contestible claims. No death cert needed. NGL pays $50,000 claims the same way. ForeThought too.

They require a licensed funeral director to sign the claim form. That's it.

So magician. I'm not talking about some 2,000 to 5,000 death claim LH paid out just to not contest in court and just pay the claim to not fight it due to legal fees etc. I'm talk about your 10,000 to 35,000 claims. So your telling this forum that LH is so GOD loving that it will pay claims without a state certified death certificate to any funeral home who makes a claim? Even if there is no "body" in the funeral home? I don't get your logic? Please do show us. Maybe I made the mistake and left the company because I found out the truth and I should be going back to overpriced policies over priced recycled leads low renewals low contracts one product and totally slavery?

Settlers does all there underwriting upfront with a require POS and MIB. LH dosent do a MIB so clean sheeting is easy to just make a quick commission because again those agents can be termed for low or no production. Sounds a bit like slavery to me!

Settler life can post publicly claims paid in 2015 and it was 99.05% claims paid. Can LH show us there numbers? Hmmmm I wonder why?????

Did you go onto Settlers life website and go to "why we exits" the proof is right in front of your nose. Those LH agents are not writing pre-need plans and you know that! That basic FE they are selling so you do need a state Certified death certificate for those 10k and up polices to pay out.

You are just wrong. And refusing to listen. I don't have to go to the settlers website. I was there in person when the company released those figures. I asked the guy directly if that was contestable claims and he said no. I asked what the figure was for contestable claims. he said he wasn't going to publish that. So I asked him how many contestable claims they had. he said he wasn't going to tell me that either.

The reason he wouldn't, he knew I could figure the number if he told me the total. Since they paid 100% of non contestable claims it would be easy to get the number.

No company will give you the percentage of contestable claims paid. Americo hinted to me one time that it's 50%. I thought that was low when they told me that many years ago but now I believe it to be high.

I cn see why no company would unilaterally release their percentage of claims paid on contestable policies only.. If that number were 80%, the competition agent would be running around telling prospects, "See they only pay 80% of their claims" even though the actual total paid claim number was 99%

----------

The funeral home director has to certify he has the body so no, they won't pay" if there is no body in the funeral home."

Several companies over the years have paid out FE claims with a copy of the obituary or a certification from the funeral home.. It is not anything new.

If I was a client and I looked on LH website and click file a claim and it clearly tells you what you need to file a claim. The original policy and a certified death certificate period. That could take 30 days so 24 is out the window. I understand that all insurance companies will pay in 24 hours after claim approval which includes the state certified death certificate. But many captive agents are trained to tell them that the policy will pay out in 24 hours after death. Basically your "word" is proof of a claim.

----------

All non-contestible claims. No death cert needed. NGL pays $50,000 claims the same way. ForeThought too.

They require a licensed funeral director to sign the claim form. That's it.

NGL is great they use a trust

----------

----------

I can abode photo copy obituaries etc. insurance companies work with state to ensure death and no fraud. The carriers don't use that anymore.

If I was a client and I looked on LH website and click file a claim and it clearly tells you what you need to file a claim. The original policy and a certified death certificate period. That could take 30 days so 24 is out the window. I understand that all insurance companies will pay in 24 hours after claim approval which includes the state certified death certificate. But many captive agents are trained to tell them that the policy will pay out in 24 hours after death. Basically your "word" is proof of a claim.

They will pay within 24 hours of death on non contestable claims. Not 24 hours after approval. I sat in a meeting 8 years ago with the president of the FCGS. he told us, and gave us literature, that they would pay within 24 hours of death on any noncontestble claim. Now most of those would be LH since that's their baby but you can have the FCGS without having an LH policy.

That's the same thing that any assignment company will do. The difference is that the assignment company will charge a fee, usually in the 3% range. Most funeral homes absorb the fee. But all do not.

The FCGS gets their fee for that from what LH pays them or in the case of a non LH policy from the $6/mo fee.

Back