Getting organized?

Has anyone used Maximizer or Salesforce? If so let's here your experience with these programs. Salesforce is way pricey at $75 per month.

Mac,

I'm really sorry we couldn't get YIO running on your computer. I know it is a hassle. but I'll bet if you had your hard drive reconfigured, that would solve the problem. I have mine done about once a year just because.

Al,

Thanks for the kind remarks and your attempt to help. I really appreciate it.

Oh, I'll send you a check at the end of last month. :biggrin:

I tried a Mac notebook for a while and then put it on ebay within 2 months. There are just too many software programs I wanted to download and try that were not compatable. Otherwise I liked it fine. There is a lot of out of the box thinking that goes into the Mac computers. For instance, I am betting YIO does not work on a Mac.

I'd take that bet. I'm sure it will run fine on a new Intel Mac (I use a Mini, wife uses a MacBook) with EITHER the Parallels emulator or with Apple's Boot Camp add-on. I use Parallels as it is a bit easier.

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

There is a free trial for 10 or 20 days. I forget. I cost all of $80 and so far the only programs that don't run on it are some high-res shoot-em-up games. Parallels lets you load XP and it becomes another 'window' on our Mac. Works fine if you have enough RAM (2 GB recommended but I use 1 GB and there is no problem.)

Bootcamp is a dual-boot deal where you have to re-boot the computer and you are actually running windows in native mode... not in an emulated mode.

Both have their purpose, depending on your needs. If I had the time or someone (i.e. Frank) wanted to pay my $170/hr computer consulting fee, I'd try Parallels with YIO, but I'm sure he can get someone at his local Mac user group to do it for nothing if he is interested.

I use our own Jaya123 web service. No, it is not as full featured as YIO but it is web-based and I like that better. It is not good for prospecting and is really an order-entry system for people who sell services (by hour) or products. http://www.jaya123.com . I wrote Jaya and is one of my other biz interests. I also own a publishing company (www.adams-blake.com). I went to the U. of Virginia ('69), founded by Thomas Jefferson and I like to think of myslef as a Jeffersonian... a man with many interests and talents. Now if I could only make a few dollars with some of them!!!!!

As for using a Mac... you might find this article interesting. Was in the New York Times and a number of other papers yesterday about how Macs are getting a second look by 'everyone' these days:

http://tinyurl.com/2ypfdc

Al
http://www.insurancesolutions123.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Mac,

but I'll bet if you had your hard drive reconfigured, that would solve the problem.

Sorry, but I disagree. If his hard drive was out of whack he'd have a lot of other problems that he has not mentioned.

The OP has a software problem, probably a corrputed registry, probably caused by whatever installer YIO uses... and if it is Install Shield, I'm not surprised. Inno Setup is by far the best installer out there... and free:
http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

The OP can go into the registry (regedit?) and delete all references to YIO and then try a re-install. That's what I would do.

The registry is just a big database for Windows and is the central point of failure for it. Mac and Linux do not use a registry and thus have no single point of failure. In XP, if you lose your registry, you have a paperweight.

If the OP is having other issues with the machine I could agree that maybe he needs his HD defraged, etc. (And he can do this now... no big deal... has he tried it?) but I sincerely doubt this is the problem.

When you talk about the 'icon' is this a desktop icon (which is an alias/shortcut) or the acutal .exe icon in the Programs folder (or wherever YIO loads)? If he is using a desktop icon, has he tried running from the actual .exe icon? Sometimes desktop icons get corrputed (or mal-installed.)

Al

Al,

What I was referring to is having his hard drive wiped clean and re-installing XP and his other programs. You obviously know a whole lot more about computers than I do. I have two programmers that write YIO. I just tell them what I want and then check to see it works the way I want it to.

I was having problems with one of my computers and I have a friend who is a tech, his day job, and that is what he did for me and then everything ran perfectly. It was also a whole lot faster, just like it was when it was new.

Since I'm not that technologically informed about how computers work, I was just repeating what my buddy the tech said.

Thanks for your input.

Al,

What I was referring to is having his hard drive wiped clean and re-installing XP and his other programs.

You advice was good. THAT would most likely solve the problem... but it is rather drastic as he will have to reinstall ALL of his software and data, etc. all over again. I think there are less invasive methods to fix this, but maybe not.

What I was getting at is that he does not have a partition problem, he has windows problem. I would just re-install windows and not do a full comp-surf... but like I say, there are probably better ways to fix this. He should bring in a consultant who is experienced in these things. A few years ago I'd be that guy, but after 30 years of programming I burned out and went into the ins. biz... more fun, better people... and a bigger challange.

Al

I did a defrag last week and I have tried using the .exe directly from the source folder all to no avail.

I also had taken a gander at the registry but did not know what to look for.

I'd take that bet. I'm sure it will run fine on a new Intel Mac (I use a Mini, wife uses a MacBook) with EITHER the Parallels emulator or with Apple's Boot Camp add-on. I use Parallels as it is a bit easier.

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

There is a free trial for 10 or 20 days. I forget. I cost all of $80 and so far the only programs that don't run on it are some high-res shoot-em-up games. Parallels lets you load XP and it becomes another 'window' on our Mac. Works fine if you have enough RAM (2 GB recommended but I use 1 GB and there is no problem.)

Bootcamp is a dual-boot deal where you have to re-boot the computer and you are actually running windows in native mode... not in an emulated mode.

Both have their purpose, depending on your needs. If I had the time or someone (i.e. Frank) wanted to pay my $170/hr computer consulting fee, I'd try Parallels with YIO, but I'm sure he can get someone at his local Mac user group to do it for nothing if he is interested.

I use our own Jaya123 web service. No, it is not as full featured as YIO but it is web-based and I like that better. It is not good for prospecting and is really an order-entry system for people who sell services (by hour) or products. http://www.jaya123.com . I wrote Jaya and is one of my other biz interests. I also own a publishing company (www.adams-blake.com). I went to the U. of Virginia ('69), founded by Thomas Jefferson and I like to think of myslef as a Jeffersonian... a man with many interests and talents. Now if I could only make a few dollars with some of them!!!!!

As for using a Mac... you might find this article interesting. Was in the New York Times and a number of other papers yesterday about how Macs are getting a second look by 'everyone' these days:

http://tinyurl.com/2ypfdc

Al
http://www.insurancesolutions123.com

I was aware of boot camp but not parallels. If I am not mistaken, boot camp came out last year. How is working for Mac users? Any bugs, problems? I can't see paying extra for a Mac with a primary purpose of using it for Windows. I understand for graphics creation and video editing Macs rule, but I don't need those functions.

I have a Phd in Persistancy and Tenaciousness from a school called Hard Knock University. It worked out very well for me.

I was aware of boot camp but not parallels. If I am not mistaken, boot camp came out last year. How is working for Mac users? Any bugs, problems? I can't see paying extra for a Mac with a primary purpose of using it for Windows. I understand for graphics creation and video editing Macs rule, but I don't need those functions.

If you have a ton of 'special' vertical market software that your run day in and day out, perhaps like YIO, maybe some stock options program, or perhaps ratings software from Assurant or some other carrrier that will only run on Windows, then it makes no sense to change. Of course you have to be willing to put up with the security (adware, spyware, virus, worm) issues that come part and parcel with XP.

I run a Mac because I can't sleep at night with the security and stability issues that XP has. True, it's better now than it was, but to me its still a 'toy' operating system.

I run a Mac first of all because Apple "owns the statck." Apples have far fewer problems for most people because they are able to mate the software to the hardware since they own it all. Second there is no known 'in the wild' (the actual technical term used) virus for the Mac (or Linux). Finally, I find their hardware to be better made, designed, and thoughtout than anything in the Windows world,with exception of Lenovo (IBM) laptops (old IBM laps are like tanks and will run forever... I have an 8 year old one that is still kicking.)

Apple has a ton of software for it (www.versiontracker.com) that fills my needs. My needs are different from your needs, I'm sure.

As for Bootcamp and Parallels, they are two different technologies that do the same thing... allow you to run Windows on a Mac. Yeah, it's silly to buy a Mac JUST so you can run XP on it. But if you are like me and only have one or two XP-only programs you might want to run (i.e. Goleads viewer or maybe YIO) it makes sense. I like a trouble-free life and when I had XP all I had was problems... software, hardware, firmware, adware, spyware, you name it ware problems. I have no problems with Apple. It just all works

My Mini cost $800 and it works fine with my old PC keyboard, speakers, and Samsung SyncMaster LCD monitor. It has built-in bluetooth, wireless (neither of which I use) and it works wonderfuly with my printer, scanner, ancient Palm Pilot) and (obviously) iPod. The absence of problems and security issues was MORE important to me than any single piece of software... and I can run my business with a few NeoOffice (the competitor to MS Office) spreadsheets and simple database. I use Apple's calander to remind me of events and call-backs. I get all my quotes on via the web. I never worry about malware... everything just works... and everthing looks 'pretty' (even FireFox because you can get a 'theme' for that makes it look just like the free Apple Safari (which is not a bad browser but has some issues with certain sites.)

Most people use Parallels because once you start it it is just another window on your Mac. You can run XP programs and Apple programs side by side, copy and paste to each other, etc. With Bootcamp you actually boot to XP and are ONLY running that. It is supposed to be a bit faster, since it gets ALL the RAM as opposed to sharing it with OS-X. The downside is that you have to reboot to go between the two systems. While a Mac boot only takes me 15 seconds, it's still a PITA. Thus I use the Parallels method... but to be honest there isn't much I use it for. (Oh, one thing... if you DO run Parallels or Bootcame, you DO become prone to the various XP malware... so you have to have the full-metal-jacket of adware/spyware/virus protection. I use the free AVG stuff. Fortunately, if you do get infected it will only affect your windows stuff... not the Apple stuff.)

HTH.

Al

I use a "registry cleaner" software program. I run it with the same frequency as the Spybot program I have. On top of that I have the "full metal jacket" as you call it.

Would registry cleaner software take care of this problem? Not sure - but based on suggestions here, maybe it would help?

Back