Getting started as an independent agent

JDG13

Hey there, I'm a licensed life insurance agent trying to break through and become an independent agent while also avoiding the many MLM scams and absurdly commission rates that are out there. Any advice or recommendations? Thanks.

Hey there, I'm a licensed life insurance agent trying to break through and become an independent agent while also avoiding the many MLM scams and absurdly commission rates that are out there. Any advice or recommendations? Thanks.

There is a sticky thread (at the top of the section) in the Getting Started section of the forum called "Guidance for new life agents". It has a lot of good info for new agents.

You are right to worry about MLM schemes and such. However, most IMOs are not like that. Search the forum for IMO suggestions and you will find plenty of professional IMOs that are not out to rip you off. Todd King here on the forum is a good one to look at.

Some carriers will allow you to contract direct with them. But most require a middle man such as a GA or IMO. Guardian, Penn Mutual, Columbus Life, ANICO, Midland National are a few solid carriers that allow direct contracts.

There are over 800 life insurance companies in the US. I'm sure some of them will allow you to sell their products without middlemen.

Actually most of the competitive options require it unless the agent is producing millions a year with that carrier. Most of the "middle men" even go through other middle men to get their contracts.

The proper upline will help you get a good start... but the independent life style is a personal mind set. Your either a bull dog in this area or a toy poodle, you make that choice.

A good IMO can help you get your feet wet and introduce you to a "system" that can provide the main frame work of this profession. (Spoiler alert, there are no "black boxes", "no plug and play". Those who say other wise will help your short stay in this business become miserable and painful.)

Some can and some cannot. Not everyone is able to perform at the level this profession demands. A college degree can often be a hinderance (I have one). Hard Work, Willingness to Learn, Good Attitude, and Hard Study are key starting points. Be a pusher and push through.

The forum is a great spot to start. If you surround yourself with just the echo chamber you begin your career with, you will be placing your self at their whims and fancy. You often don't even know what questions to ask. Spend a good week combing through some of the threads on here and you will come away with answers, but more importantly you will come a way with some good questions.

Loneliness. If that scares you, you might want to look else where. You can make some great friends in this business, but at the end of the day... and independent agent is just that, "an independent agent". That said, the amazing amount of freedom that this profession provides is unbelievable. Enough to do what you want to do and enough to starve. :laugh:

That said, Welcome to the Forum! :)

I have a good friend who’s a big time producer and a bulldog . We talk 4-5 times a day . We both door knock 90% of the time . Life hawks right . Unless your a pit Bull you’ll notice make it in this game . We joke we have bloody knuckles from knocking so hard and much . Over the yrs you constantly learn and adapt and refine your script and presentation . But as life hawk said a college degree means zip . I like to tell people I eat flesh for lunch and my skin is tougher than Steel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtoqVbvv62R7vvO9tRCR_1w - This is a channel I'm building to help people just like yourself. Interviews with agents, training... all free. More to come. I hope this helps you in your career!

One tip. Trust 100% in your upline and training once you commit. There is plenty of knowledge here for you to research and figure out who would be best for you.

Back