Getting Started In P&C

One piece of simple advice. Find your niche, prospect nonstop, and put in place a good system for reliable,consistent follow-up.
The rest is a piece of cake:) Too bad it took me twenty years of trial and error to figure it out !

1man,

I too am just starting out in P& C and plan on joining an independant. I would like to focus on selling business and commercial insurance and plan on cold calling business owners. I know there is a lot to learn about this type of insurance. Do you know of any good trainginin this field? What has been your experiance in cold calling business owners?

thanks,

Focused on medium and large commercial for a few years and decided it was not my niche. Prospecting was fairly easy, in our state the state workers comp fund gives any agent who signs up access to the anniversary dates and loss experience of all workers comp. policyholders in the state ! We just used that list as our prospecting tool and called prior to renewal with our offer to price shop the coverages. Problem with large commercial is that they are targeted by every agent at renewal and they do require a bit of babysitting. We shifted to small commercial and personal lines and found our comfort zone.

Best piece of advice that was given to me early on was "product knowledge is overrated", "it changes every week" focus on sales and service. As far as training goes, I'd focus on a prospecting, sales,follow up system that is reliable and consistent and you will always be busy writing new business. Let the little nerds in the home office provide the intimate product knowledge and pick their brains when you need it.

Good luck in your efforts.

I hate agreeing with people, but your post is hard to argue with. Especially the part about picking the brains of the egg heads at the home office.

I'm in the same general area as you, small to mid commercial accounts, and personal lines. I try to keep some big boys in the pipeline though. I don't focus on large accounts, but with a little persistence, I get about 1 large account written a quarter.

Back