Getting Started..

Z-Riah

HI, been lurking for a couple of years and finally decided to join.

A little background.. I've been selling (licensed in over 30 states) Med Supps, MA's, CI, PDP's and DVH over the phone through several carriers the past four years (call centers..). In that time, the companies I've worked for have used multiple CRM's, QE's and dialers. The leads have been provided and have been both inbound and outbound. I've only been paid commission on the initial sale; the company keeps all residuals.

Without residuals, I don't see a long term future in the monthly grind of quotas and a 1 time commission. I have a pretty good working knowledge of Supps/MA and have been successful selling. What I don't have experience in, is (obviously) creating my own leads and building my own book of business. I've been reading old posts about going from captive to independent and have tried to get good ideas regarding the process.

The main MA carriers in my area (Kansas) are: Coventry/Aetna, Humana and UHC. For Supps: BCBS, MOO, Aetna, UHC, Cigna and Americo are all popular. I want to continue selling both, but am not sure of the cost of getting contracted with carriers. Ideally, I also want to keep my license in about 5 states aside from my residential state. Would you experienced guys consider that foolish? Should I only focus on my immediate area? Or do you think it's wise to target counties in other states that I've had success in?

As for leads, from what I've read on here, The Lead Connection (among others) is a great source for monthly mailers. Are mailers going to be enough to get me started in the beginning, or should I diversify that with other sources? Also, with the mailers, if they are in my local area, can I door knock as well as call?

I'm also concerned about working from a home office in regards to HIPAA. Can I operate a CRM with clients personal info through my local internet provider? Am I able to store documents using G Suite/Box/Dropbox etc? Can I call from my cell phone (synced via Google Voice etc), or do I need to use the computer via a dialer?

As for FMO's, I plan on calling Todd King, Premier Marketing Insurance, SMS Columbia (have used their QE quite a bit) and Ritter (also used their QE quite a bit), to compare the % they pay out on the most popular local carriers. Those four seem to receive the most positive reviews on here. Is there anything unique to those four that would elevate them above the others?

I'm open to any suggestions/advice/criticism. Thanks.

PM me your number and we can talk, I started about 2 years ago and this forum had plenty of agents who helped me a lot...I am always willing to help and newbie as I remember being one also #goodkarma

Back