GM Too Far Gone?

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
Was just listening to a financial update on GM which wants another handout. Wow. They are much, much further gone than I thought they were and I thought they were totally gone. Time to let them go and pick them up and dust them off as part of a bankruptcy proceedings. If the UAW says they have given all they can, I suppose I respect that. However it is not enough and that is how they chose to play their hand, so bye-bye American pie.

70 bucks an hour. That is the average UAW wage, not counting the free health care and pre-paid legal and all of that.

I'm not so sure that the question should be asked of GM, but of USA... are we too far gone...? With each passing day, as the deal-of-the-day is released from the Ivory Tower, it seems to me that we should be looking for a comfy spot in which to bend over and kisss our azzes good-bye. Madness has taken center stage.

Oh BTW, GM was toast a long time ago. Denial is running rampant in the minds of all the so called
"stake-holders". I nearly vomit each and every time I hear that word. Time for the stake to be thru the heart, IMO.

Was just listening to a financial update on GM which wants another handout. Wow. They are much, much further gone than I thought they were and I thought they were totally gone. Time to let them go and pick them up and dust them off as part of a bankruptcy proceedings. If the UAW says they have given all they can, I suppose I respect that. However it is not enough and that is how they chose to play their hand, so bye-bye American pie.

70 bucks an hour. That is the average UAW wage, not counting the free health care and pre-paid legal and all of that.

Unions: The death blow to American manufacturing jobs.

I watched as Levi Straus stopped making jeans in America back in the 80's. Why? Union strangle hold. If they didn't get every damn thing they wanted they'd shut down every plant and starve a YES out of Levi's. Most were plants in rural America like Morrilton, AR. Where a Levi's emp. was one of the highest paid in the town. Uneducated, taken in, trained, rich benefits, etc., all GONE due to greed and a stupid union trying to look like they were doing something.

I worked as a maintenance electrician at Levi's after the Navy. I started at $9/hr then raised to 11.50 after 90 days. Our shop in the plant was not part of the union due to it's mechanical nature. There were unskilled workers in the plant doing nothing but watching a automatic box tapping machine making $15-20/hr. Order pickers walking around with a list and a box on a cart putting three of this two of that, etc... making upward of $25/hr. IN THE 80'S.

Notice where your pants are made now? Thanks UNIONS.

Just like a business thats going under the investors start looting the company assets while the employees are being lied to untill they wake up to the fact that they has lost their jobs.

Our goverment leaders and the banksters are looting our county with these bailouts while the citizens are being lied to. It will be too late once the people wake up to the fact that they lost their country.

Notice where your pants are made now? Thanks UNIONS.

Yeh. You see these bumper stickers: "Unions:The folks who brought you the weekend"

Zippy indeed but they need to update it: "Unions: The folks who fixed it so that you are at home the whole week"

It will be interesting to see how a bankruptcy of GM might affect the AFL-CIO. It will be tough to recruit new union members when management holds a seminar on the destruction of GM. I'd be a little nervous if I was relying on GM for my paycheck or pension check or healthcare...

Look I get some companies are f***ed, this recession is killing business ... but stop, please stop saying Unions are killing Automakers as a fact, its not, thats some wild make believe right wing propaganda. Once again I will post the actual facts on UAW v. Transplant wages. Show me facts that disprove me ... I bet you cant.

Here are details of the average hourly labor cost of UAW workers employed at Ford and those employed by non-U.S. based automakers with plants in the United States. The figures are similar across the three Detroit automakers.

WAGES: Base hourly wages and cost of living adjustments
  • <LI itxtvisited="1">UAW: $29
  • Transplants: $26
WAGE RELATED: Paid vacation, overtime, holidays, night and weekend pay, break time
  • <LI itxtvisited="1">UAW: $14
  • Transplants: $9
BENEFITS: Healthcare, training, etc
  • <LI itxtvisited="1">UAW: $12
  • Transplants: $11
LEGACY COSTS (Without VEBA): Pension and healthcare benefits for retirees
  • <LI itxtvisited="1">UAW: $16
  • Transplants: $3
LEGACY COSTS (With VEBA): Pension and healthcare benefits for retirees
  • <LI itxtvisited="1">UAW: $3
  • Transplants: $3
TOTAL LABOR COST:
  • <LI itxtvisited="1">UAW (without VEBA): $71 <LI itxtvisited="1">UAW (with VEBA): $58
  • Transplants: $49
Source of data Ford Motor Company.
The VEBA Plan is a tax-free health reimbursement arrangement (HRA) that enables your employer to make tax-free contributions into a special trust account on your behalf. These tax-free funds can then be used to pay or reimburse eligible out-of-pocket health care costs and premiums for yourself, your spouse, and your qualified IRS dependents.

How much do you to pay someone to put carpet on the floor of a car? You pay a 22 year old $12 an hour - period.

Adults being paid $50K a year is completely absurd.

Back