Great ways to make money, when you're broke

I agree, the only reason cold calling quit working is because people quit working!

Of course, there are very few absolutes in anything, but...

In nearly twenty years in this business encompassing positions from producer to wholesaler to sales management, I've seen many successes - and many, many more failures.

All of the successful producers have a common thread; they understand the importance of marketing.

This business is 1% product knowledge, 1% sales "technique", and 98% marketing.

We can have all the "product" and "sales" knowledge in the world - but if we don't have anyone to practice it on - it's worthless!

This a good thread.....

As far as the definition of broke.............THATS ME. I have a lot of things working against me, but then again, it's been that way from day one. From having a disability, limited funds, bad credit and what seems to be a never-ending amount of debt many people may say give up before i get started but I don't see that happening. The way I see it, when you're truly broke you don't have much to lose. Worst case scenario, if it doesn't work out at least I met great people (here and doing b2b), it doesn't cost anything to pick up the phone and dial and I've expanded my knowledge of insurance. I think if you listen to people who say you'll fail, you will. Any opinions?

I also plan on exhausting every resource possible to make this work. I have some one who comes and gets me up ides in the morning. They stay for 6 hours, it only takes 1 1/2 for me to get ready. The way I see it, I have a telemarketer 4 hours a day or some one to help with flyer/doorhanger distribution for FREE.They get paid to help me with anything I need within the 6 hr period.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Your feedback on my my thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: Ways to make money, when you're broke.

Interesting comment to note.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Good post, James. Hopefully you've been at it a while since your last post. Do hope business has picked up for ya, you've got the spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
"We can have all the "product" and "sales" knowledge in the world - but if we don't have anyone to practice it on - it's worthless!"

This is dead on!

So, what's WORKED for you ? You[re apparently still in the biz .
Any real positive, advice to post, like that of some of the more
positive voices here . . ?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This response is to the comment made by CRAZY RICK.,
again, what's WORK'N for you ? What positive comments do you have for this game ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Ways to make money, when you're broke.

The simple fact is this: if you're broke you don't belong in this business in the first place...let's call a spade a spade.

The prospect can hear the desperation in your voice. You've got no working capital. Worry must be pervasive. There's a tendency to cut corners because of pressure...

Enough!

Find some way to get a bankroll that will allow you to do some real marketing, not cold calling. Beg, borrow or steal, but if you don't have some working capital, you've got almost no shot.

Very true...I've been there. The sales managers will tell you to "fake it till you make it".....if your that good of an actor move to Hollywood! I've been in situations many times on a friday knowing if i didn't make a sale I wouldn't eat....No matter how hard i tried I had gloom and despair written on my forehead!! Get some working capital or start part-time would be my advice.

Back