Group Retiree Part D - Not Creditable Coverage

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
A friend's widowed mother receives med supp, drug, dental and vision benefits through her deceased husband's union benefits.

She recently received a letter stating the drug coverage isn't creditable. Until a year or so ago, she had an inexpensive, standalone Part D plan but she dropped it as she didn't think she needed it. I had her call Social Security and she was told she'll have a LEP of $4.50-$5.00 per month if she picks up a Part D again. I told her it might be a good idea to do so, because from the sound of this letter, there's an annual maximum of $625.00 per individual?

She can, apparently add a Part D and keep her current drug coverage, which will pay secondary to Medicare. I'm confused though - should she use the current coverage for whatever it covers and Part D for whatever it doesn't?

This drug coverage not being "creditable" seems like someone could get big-time screwed over if they got divorced when they are elderly and had no clue about the LEP.

Normally I don't do Part D for someone, unless I get their Med Supp as well, as it's a hassle, but this is a favor for a friend.

Attachments

• Part D 10-30-2018.pdf
    860.5 KB · Views: 4
Don’t see where you asked a question, but if it is should she get a drug plan, I would say yes. When I have clients who are on no medication, I usually just go with the least expensive one in the area. I also have a couple of clients with VA coverage who wanted a drug plan just in case when they travel and are away from the VA. They also get the lowest cost plan typically.

My question is, if she gets a standalone Part D then Medicare becomes the primary payer. So I'm trying to figure out what should be run through the retiree plan and what, if anything through the Part D.

I don't recall ever seeing a secondary PDP policy. Most of what is out there are discount plans like GoodRx. You can use Part D, or GoodRx, but not both.

A bit confused about where you found the union plan pays secondary to Part D. Was that in a letter from the union, or something in the benefit book? Paying secondary implies COB and a 2nd claim filed after the PDP pays. A paper claim?

Is there a premium for this secondary plan? Does it really have value?

I just want to point out that the heading "Group Retiree Part D - Not Creditable Coverage" makes no sense. If it were Part D then it would be creditable. So maybe next time just call it a drug plan.

Somarco asks good questions. If she's not paying for the group plan, then figure out COB. Hopefully, it won't be a hassle for whatever pharmacy she would use to file the claims.

Somarco, in the fourth paragraph of the attached file it says "you can keep your current medical and prescription drug coverage with (former company name) Combined Health & Welfare Retiree Plan and enroll in a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan. If you do this, (former company name) Combined Health & Welfare Retiree Plan will pay secondary to Medicare."

She pays so much per month for the combined supp, drug coverage, dental & vision package.

OK, I rarely click links and/or download files on the forum.

Still does not seem to address my questions.

"So much per month" is not helpful

The longer she goes without creditable coverage the higher the penalty. If this union drug plan has a max benefit of $625 seems a no brainer to jump back on the PDP wagon

Back