Guy Walks into a Bar...

I got so frustrated with resolving and attempting to resolve client issues during and after the 2014 Open Enrollment that for 2015, I started telling on-exchange clients that they would have to work with the Marketplace directly, because ObamaCare restricts how much assistance I can provide. And now that Blue Cross (has 95% of my clients) won't even tell agents if an On-Exchange policy is In-Force, or Terminated, that decision is further reaffirmed. I'm happy to help them pick the best plan each year, give advice, and assist with resolving any needs related to other policies they have with me, but if they're on-exchange, I direct them to 1.800.318.2596 for health plan or APTC resolutions.

I have a client who told me his family of 3 would earn $65K in 2015 and needed to provide documents to the Marketplace. He failed to send them in once, I got him a SEP and reenrolled him and today, after 2 months and numerous emails from him asking me questions about what to submit (I referred him to his tax advisor after explaining things about 5 times) he sends me a tax return with -$42K of Adjusted Gross income. What is freaking wrong with these people? How can some people be this stupid and make it to adulthood (the guy is on Medicare, the policy is for his wife and son)? It just isn't worth it for a $33 a month commission, is it?

Hold the fort. Your commission is $33 per month? Each and every month?

Are you mental?

Once the wok is done its $33 a month.

If you only have one client NO it's not worth it.

200 clients that like you and every year buy from you

----------

So you work your butt off 6 months of the year (or less) and reap the rewards later. Every $30 a month is worth... If you look at the big picture.

Hold the fort. Your commission is $33 per month? Each and every month?

Are you mental?

Once the wok is done its $33 a month.

If you only have one client NO it's not worth it.

200 clients that like you and every year buy from you

----------

So you work your butt off 6 months of the year (or less) and reap the rewards later. Every $30 a month is worth... If you look at the big picture.

I'm far from mental, I have many more than 200 clients and don't really need to add to my Book of Business at this point in time, I can easily replace this one PITA with someone else who won't be a hassle, I don't see why that is a difficult concept.

I got so frustrated with resolving and attempting to resolve client issues during and after the 2014 Open Enrollment that for 2015, I started telling on-exchange clients that they would have to work with the Marketplace directly, because ObamaCare restricts how much assistance I can provide. And now that Blue Cross (has 95% of my clients) won't even tell agents if an On-Exchange policy is In-Force, or Terminated, that decision is further reaffirmed. I'm happy to help them pick the best plan each year, give advice, and assist with resolving any needs related to other policies they have with me, but if they're on-exchange, I direct them to 1.800.318.2596 for health plan or APTC resolutions.

Allen, I am mostly on the same page as you for next year with the difference that I will insist that my clients use their income per the last filed tax return, that will match it up in the Marketplace system and eliminate almost all of the requests for documentation.

It's not worth it when it interferes with your job, and the job that you're doing for other clients. It also depends on the amount of money involved.

You need to do the best job you can, but you sort of know when you need to stop dealing with a particular situation. Dumb ass people will waste too much of your time and have little to offer you. Their friends are usually broke and dumb as shitt as well.

I'm far from mental, I have many more than 200 clients and don't really need to add to my Book of Business at this point in time, I can easily replace this one PITA with someone else who won't be a hassle, I don't see why that is a difficult concept. Allen, I am mostly on the same page as you for next year with the difference that I will insist that my clients use their income per the last filed tax return, that will match it up in the Marketplace system and eliminate almost all of the requests for documentation.

I was only joking on the mental part. I totally see your point though.

It's not worth it when it interferes with your job, and the job that you're doing for other clients. It also depends on the amount of money involved.

You need to do the best job you can, but you sort of know when you need to stop dealing with a particular situation. Dumb ass people will waste too much of your time and have little to offer you. Their friends are usually broke and dumb as shitt as well.

Exactly, I sent him an email last night asking why, when he had his tax return in February, he didn't feel the need to tell me his income was negative even when I had to redo his policy in June because they hadn't sent in the documents the first time. For some strange reason I haven't received a reply.

I know what you mean, FLM2: I have a few I never want to hear from again. They just wear me out and wear me down. One guy sends me an email every few days with all of his health issues, claims problems, subsidy problems. I don't even read them anymore.

He has not paid his premium for July or August and is complaining that he had some claims in July that were not paid. I have told him repeatedly: "I am not claims. I am not the benefits department. I am not billing." And I'm sticking with it.

I don't care if he loses his insurance or not at this point; speaking of a PITA client.

And I had the -$42,000 client as well. They lost their subsidy. Good riddance.

Not worth it. You can run in circles for every $33 client, or spend that excess time on three other $33 clients, totaling $99. Volume isn't everything. Volume + efficiently + long-term value is worth much more. I'm into purging my book. Some people aren't worth the hassle. And, like Bill3173 so eloquently stated, "Dumb ass people will waste too much of your time and have little to offer you. Their friends are usually broke and dumb as shitt as well." I can't possibly match Bill3173's exquisitely refined style of expression, but nevertheless I agree with the concept that you cannot get good referrals or cross sales from clients like that.

Back