Guy Walks into a Bar...

Some carriers pay a percentage of premium. For example, Humana currently pays 6% first year. So if a premium is $550 per month, that would result in a $33 per month commission. No imagine a 60 year old husband and wife. Or a family of 4. $33 per month isn't a stretch.

Almost everyone I know has been opting for the HDHP & commissions runs < $15 with Blue Cross. They were the cheapest on the block by far. I haven't seen 2016 rates yet but understand that they were looking for a 35% increase.

I have myself, wife & son covered for ~$600. I'm old and still not looking forward to paying $800 even though it was $1,000 before the advent of HSAs. Insurance ain't affordable because healthcare ain't affordable. OOP is now at $6,400.

Last edited:
To complete the circle of stupidity, the guy emails me back on Tuesday and says he understands and will find another agent if I want him to.

Then he asks me if I can help him with his Florida Blue Dental plan-he knows I don't represent Florida Blue and didn't sign him up for it.

I simply answered for him to find another agent and call the company, call the agent that originally enrolled him, call anyone (but me).

What an ***...

Almost everyone I know has been opting for the HDHP & commissions runs < $15 with Blue Cross. They were the cheapest on the block by far. I haven't seen 2016 rates yet but understand that they were looking for a 35% increase.

I have myself, wife & son covered for ~$600. I'm old and still not looking forward to paying $800 even though it was $1,000 before the advent of HSAs. Insurance ain't affordable because healthcare ain't affordable. OOP is now at $6,400.

Blue here in Georgia pays PMPM. I believe it's $17.20. So regardless of the premium, it's a flat amount per member. So worst case scenario is $17.20 for a single person. But a family of 4 would be $68.80 per month.

----------

To complete the circle of stupidity, the guy emails me back on Tuesday and says he understands and will find another agent if I want him to.

Then he asks me if I can help him with his Florida Blue Dental plan-he knows I don't represent Florida Blue and didn't sign him up for it.

I simply answered for him to find another agent and call the company, call the agent that originally enrolled him, call anyone (but me).

What an ***...

Sometimes it feels really nice to fire a client.

I think it all come downs to situation. I have a sweet set up at several Walmarts in NJ for both Medicare AEP and ACA AEP. I am sitting at my kiosk, a guy comes up and wants ObamaCare, what the hell I am sitting here anyway, why not.
Last year I made a political decision to not offer ACA from my Walmart kiosk. I turned away with what now appears to be nearly $15k in commissions based on the number of people I turned away and commission amounts per case.
Again, it comes down to situation. If this interferes with your day to day marketing operations than by all means be selective. If you are in a situation where you are sitting there minding your own business and this business gets dropped in your lap...why not write it?

CHUMPS used to say, "Get out now!". Maybe we can scare the competition away by "giving" them all of our nightmare cases instead.

Sometimes it feels really nice to fire a client.

It helped make my week for sure (along with a vacation in San Francisco :yes:)

----------

CHUMPS used to say, "Get out now!". Maybe we can scare the competition away by "giving" them all of our nightmare cases instead.

Maybe we need a social media site where agents who want to get rid of clients can truly 'give them away' lol

Back