Had One Call to Cancel

Yeah she was a big part of the conversation I left a lot out trying to keep the post short. Many of the comments I attributed to him were hers. I think he has the money. Can't prove it. Just a hunch.

Fact is, I think she drove the turn around. She started in with wanting the prepaid but it was her buying signal that prompted him to move.

It's about money no doubt. After reading all your thoughts I can see that there is no way for me to give a really accurate account. But, I think he ultimately just doesn't give a crap and doesn't want the payment.

I think you have finally hit on it.. The whole thing was the wife's idea.. Started with preened because that is what her sister has.. The husband sit reading the paper or watching the ballgame as she talks about about it.. He agrees with her just to get her to shut up and leave him alone.

She sends teh reply card in and you show up.. You make your presentation and she decides now they should buy FE.. He is sitting there agreeing with both of you hoping y'all will shut up and he can go back to his TV.. He was never really interested in either option and still isn't.

Sounds to me that she says: I didn't know it would cost so much. Where are we supposed to get $150 a month from? We don't even have money for medicine when we need it. You better call him and cancel it.
He says: o.k., I'll do it tomorrow.

You are a world class blankety blanking blank!
You start off by saying how we need more of these cases to work out in the forum and you turn right around a berate the guy for Not including the wife....really? Were you there?
And then all your jibber jabber talking in circles like you have a clue. You offered absolutely nothing New to the discussion. So take a hike pencil neck you won't be recruiting this guy ever.:no:

Greg is making the point that sometimes we think a sale is solid because we have the dominant spouse on board but we forget that the quiet one can absolutely kill the deal after we leave. We need to make sure we are talking to both and get both to agree to our plan for it to be rock solid.

I had a deal killed over this very thing last month. I screwed up.

Nobody knows what happened on this appointment and if anyone else could have saved it. But this kind of open discussion is what helps us all.

That's why I always play Devil's Advocate in the pre-qualification phase.

"Why would you want life insurance when you can go buy the funeral or pre-plan right now?"

I want to hear them tell me in their own word why that is not a good idea.

Or I want them to tell me why it is.

Either way I want to know what they feel to determine if I got a qualified prospect or not.

I want to hear them tell me in their own word

In the button-up and cool down phase after all the ink is on the page and banking info provided... apps are being put away at this point. Mr/Mrs Prospect, how do you feel about your decision today? Do you feel that you've made a wise choice here?

If they do feel that they have, they will summarize good thoughts, in their own words of relief by getting this concern off of their plate. If there is hesitency they will usually voice it here too. Once they hear themselves, in their own words saying that they feel good about moving forward here this tends to cut down on the buyers remorse, awaking the next day and wanting to cancel.

Cancellation is most often a sign that you've pushed too hard, or that a sphere of influence [someone not discussed or eliminated in the presentation, like the Sister] has nixed the deal for then.... or at the very least brought doubt upon their decision. It happens but this is avoidable many times too; part of the learning process. :err:

He was never really interested in either option and still isn't.

That was my impression. I've sold fe policies to men in the 80-82 year old age range before, but it is very rare, and usually there is a daughter or two in the picture.

I had one that I did like that last year he was 81, wife deceased, with a grown daughter that he had in his fifties. She was unmarried, and he was concerned about her. Solid case.

An 80 year old married man with little money and no life insurance at some point said screw these people I'm not leaving them anything. Not that I approve of that attitude, but it happens.

You are a world class blankety blanking blank!
You start off by saying how we need more of these cases to work out in the forum and you turn right around a berate the guy for Not including the wife....really? Were you there?
And then all your jibber jabber talking in circles like you have a clue. You offered absolutely nothing New to the discussion. So take a hike pencil neck you won't be recruiting this guy ever.:no:

You ought to be ashamed. Greg gave some solid advice. This is why you don't run one-legged appointments. The spouse who isn't involved will kill the deal every time. Letting her sit off to the side without being involved is worse than her not being there. She got to hear every word and stew that it really wasn't what her sister got.

You ought to be ashamed. Greg gave some solid advice. This is why you don't run one-legged appointments. The spouse who isn't involved will kill the deal every time. Letting her sit off to the side without being involved is worse than her not being there. She got to hear every word and stew that it really wasn't what her sister got.

I agree, every time there is a double header you need to make sure you are talking to both at the same time. Also, when you sit with them at the table, don't sit in between them. Have them sit together, it makes it more of a decision and the communication becomes easier for yourself and it makes them feel they are working together on this problem that they have to take care of.

I would have looked into a blended idea which is more advanced on this case and I would have lowered the premium within parameters and got more information on his budget.

Gregs advice was solid and was probably the best advice out of all the responses.

That's why I always play Devil's Advocate in the pre-qualification phase.

"Why would you want life insurance when you can go buy the funeral or pre-plan right now?"

I want to hear them tell me in their own word why that is not a good idea.

Either way I want to know what they feel to determine if I got a qualified prospect or not.

Excellent post and often overlooked in sales the power of this. I had a friend who sold cars before timeshare and she used to ask people all time why they were trading their car in. "It's got power windows, door locks, good paint, ect. ect."......."why you trading it?" Then they would proceed to tell her everything including if they were trading or not which some buyers hold back. They usually left the lot with something totally different from what they wanted but that's besides the point.

Latest posts

Back