Health Care Sharing Plans

The problem with a relationship with a whatever God usually ends up with a whatever eternity. I'm going to need a little more than that.

Medi-Share and the others like it are based on solid Biblical principles. Mainly principles taught in Deuteronomy and First Timothy. They are not church based but faith based.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Medi-Share Guidelines

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are not church based but faith based.

I think the Medishare membership guidelines are so narrowly focused that they are church based in a sense. See section IIA of the link above.

It is not faith based, but CHRISTIAN faith based, and a very narrowly and specifically defined version of Christianity (ie: the Christian Church) at that.

For example, if I read and understand the guidelines correctly, a person who genuinely believes in Evolution would have to lie on the applications to obtain Medishare membership.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section XI A has an interesting exclusion relating to car accidents. In my mind it leaves open the question of whether or not Medishare would provide any coverage when an UNINSURED "at fault third party" is liable for the member's expenses.

Oh, the article says it? Then it must be true. I personally know somebody in a charismatic church (non-denominational), somebody in a Baptist church and somebody who doesn't even go to church who are all enrolled in Medi-Share. I assure you they don't all share the same exact beliefs. They do have to make a statement of faith (which means they check a box saying they agree).

All that means is that one or more of those people may have lied in confirming that their personal belief system matches up with the belief system expected by Medishare, and, or, one or more of those people may have lied when confirming that they would live the lifestyle expected by Medishare.

The link I posted in another response contains very clear expectations of a common belief set and lifestyle expectations for MediShare enrollees.

Here is the concern I have with Medi-Share (and I'm contracted for it).

Pros:
-Cheaper than a supplement without the co-pays and prior auth limitations of advantage.
-People who have it do generally seem to be happy with the coverage.

Cons:
-It is not insurance and there is no guarantee to pay (not that this has historically been an issue for them).
-If the plan does fail and people are left without coverage, they will not have a guarantee issue right for a supplement or an SEP for MA. (This being the biggest potential con that I have found).

Caveat, I am not an agent.

While trying to read something about MediShare, I noticed there was something called MediShare 65 too. I did not take time to try to read any info about it.

We get threads on the forum sometimes from agents who have clients coming off employer coverage-the clients took BOTH A and B way back when, so now are unable to qualify for Medigap without underwriting.

With all the comments about the relative reliability of MediShare, do you think MediShare should be tossed out for agent/client consideration in those threads, or do you think MediShare has enough pre-existing condition restrictions that it would probably not be useful coverage in those situations.

(Not trying to pick fights or arguments with that question, just interested in your professional opinion.)

Caveat, I am not an agent.

While trying to read something about MediShare, I noticed there was something called MediShare 65 too. I did not take time to try to read any info about it.

We get threads on the forum sometimes from agents who have clients coming off employer coverage-the clients took BOTH A and B way back when, so now are unable to qualify for Medigap without underwriting.

With all the comments about the relative reliability of MediShare, do you think MediShare should be tossed out for agent/client consideration in those threads, or do you think MediShare has enough pre-existing condition restrictions that it would probably not be useful coverage in those situations.

(Not trying to pick fights or arguments with that question, just interested in your professional opinion.)

I'm a medishare member but would recommend a med supp or ma if that answers your question. Simply for coordination of benefits and cost of med supp is good (contra cost of ACA - ridiculous).

And on your other posts re medishare - no issues. Similar if Muslims or JWs want to come together and make a sharing program - it's a free country. Don't like how narrow it's defined? Cool - make your own more "broad" version. Feel like it should be more narrow? Cool - make your own more narrow version.

I'm a medishare member but would recommend a med supp or ma if that answers your question. Simply for coordination of benefits and cost of med supp is good (contra cost of ACA - ridiculous).

And on your other posts re medishare - no issues. Similar if Muslims or JWs want to come together and make a sharing program - it's a free country. Don't like how narrow it's defined? Cool - make your own more "broad" version. Feel like it should be more narrow? Cool - make your own more narrow version.
Hi.
Just saying, or attempting to say, two things.

A) I think the truly defined rules for Medi-Share seem to encompass a much smaller range of people than some of the posting agents believe they do.

B) I think the high costs of medical care meeting the narrowly defined membership criteria for what is apparently one of the best cost sharing type plans in the marketplace right now, could create an ethical conundrum for some folks.

Do you lie about what you believe in order to obtain some type assistance with health care costs you can afford, or do you follow your belief and maybe not get some of the health care you need because you can't afford it?

It's comparable, in a way, to a question new Christians will ask when first confronted with scriptures talking about government authority: "Do I have to obey speed limits?"

I am not saying agents can or should police their potential clients in this regard, but some awareness of an issue some of their prospects might be, or ought to be, facing, might be in order.

Personally I see pros and cons to the Health shares. I'm glad the members are part of the ecosystem, as a pool of people who are price conscious and actively negotiate terms for medical care is badly needed. The current system of no one knowing what anything costs, and just vaguely complaining about insurance premium increases, is not sustainable and the incentives don't align.

But selfishly I'd rather see these lower-utilizing people be part of the real insurance pool, and I advocate for freeing up plan designs to attract them.

Professionally it's not insurance so I'd never broker a plan or assist in any way with a purchase. Maybe some agents that do sell the plans can expound on the the E and O ramifications? The health share plans have been given the blessing to count toward satisfying the health insurance requirement for tax purposes (still a penalty here in the Garden State), so I feel like I have a professional obligation to acknowledge their existence with an unbiased explanation, especially for unsubsidized, older individual market shoppers.

That can be said about a lot of things . . . including managed care plans with high deductibles and OOP

Absolutely. But I'm not talking about just costs. I'm talking about it not being insurance. MCP and/or HDP will always have pro's and con's, but there are regulations they must abide by and appeal processes they must federally adhere to. At least with those plans, you know what you signed up for. Regardless of the potential expense.

In the event you don't like your Medi-share, leaving it doesn't give you a right to pick up something else.

As I said, Under 65, I see the value. Over 65, just pick up a sup.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - At least 1.7 million Americans use health care sharing plans, despite lack of protections

The Colorado report found that health sharing arrangements often require their members to seek charity care or assistance from providers, governments, or consumer support organizations before submitting sharing requests. Those costs are then shifted to other public or private health plans.

Katy Talento, executive director of the Alliance of Health Care Sharing Ministries, which represents five of the largest and longest-operating sharing plans in the country, said sharing ministries encourage members to act like the uninsured people they are. Such requirements to seek charity care reflect a desire to be good stewards of their members' money, Talento said.

"Think about it like a soup kitchen," she said.

Back