Health Care Sharing Plans

[EXTERNAL LINK] - At least 1.7 million Americans use health care sharing plans, despite lack of protections

The Colorado report found that health sharing arrangements often require their members to seek charity care or assistance from providers, governments, or consumer support organizations before submitting sharing requests. Those costs are then shifted to other public or private health plans.

Katy Talento, executive director of the Alliance of Health Care Sharing Ministries, which represents five of the largest and longest-operating sharing plans in the country, said sharing ministries encourage members to act like the uninsured people they are. Such requirements to seek charity care reflect a desire to be good stewards of their members' money, Talento said.

"Think about it like a soup kitchen," she said.

Even though many of the sharing plans require some form of attestation that professes a belief in a higher being, formal religious service membership/attendance, and adherence to religious principles . . . it is perfectly fine to lie about your circumstances in order to have your care reimbursed?

Even though many of the sharing plans require some form of attestation that professes a belief in a higher being, formal religious service membership/attendance, and adherence to religious principles . . . it is perfectly fine to lie about your circumstances in order to have your care reimbursed?
I've got a few clients that have it and a few more friends that have it.

What I've noticed is that all of them are on it because it's cheaper than Obamacare without the subsidy.

Kinda like that friend or relative we all have that says ....... It's not about the money it's the principle of the thing ......... That's BS. It's always about the money.

For me to get "Health Insurance" thru the marketplace - my lowest premium is $1,594.89 per month.

I'd have a $14,000 deductible.
----
I have Medi-Share.
I happily give them $289 per month.

We've had 3 of the 5 kids (labor/deliver/etc) w/ Medi-Share and 2 w/ traditional coverage. Almost no difference in experience.

Otherwise no major medical conditions in the family.

I've often thought - worst case scenario - if something really bad came up I'd try to "create" an SEP for an ACA plan, or wait until open enrollment, or take a job somewhere with health benefits if things weren't looking good -- but I don't anticipate that happening.

They've done what they said they'd do at every turn. Even if I got pretty sick I don't think they'd suddenly stop paying for medical care.

Or you would call me and I would have you on a husband/wife group within 15 days.

Pastor's son. Married, needed insurance. I told them O'Care, around $200/month. They decided they hated Obama enough to go on some Sharing Plan. Whatever.

Fast Forward 6 years and 2 kids.

Daughter's pediatrician sends them to the hospital because the lump indicates cancer. They call the plan, they tell them what hospital. 3 weeks later, they are ready to release the 4 year old with a 2 year plan for chemo. The problem? The hospital wants their money. The docs want their money. The social worker told them not to go home, because they wouldn't be allowed back without paying the bill.

This is just like the argument for MAPD vs Med Supp. I don't care how it works when you are healthy. Or have a baby (and both mine wound up in the NICU after normal pregnancies). Or need a damn knee replacement.

I care about how it works when you find a lump in the shower, trip over a crack in the sidewalk or my favorite-trip over your suitcase, break your neck and spend $1.5 million in 9 months.

Its not insurance. There is no guarantee of payment. Not only no, HECK NO.

P.S. I especially hate the "Christian" one that does not cover adopted kids. Just like Jesus intended, I'm sure.

There's really one out there that says this? I don't fool with them so I wouldn't know.

Sounds like their definition of Christian is a whole lot different than mine.

Several of these health sharing plans popped up after ACA went into full effect. Many had no business doing it. Especially in the name of Christianity.

You really want to read a horror story, check out this long and extensive article. It really is a good read. It could probably become a documentary.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - How Liberty HealthShare Left Thousands With Debt as It Built a Family Empire — ProPublica

Again, this is why I said early on in this thread, if a person is going to use one of the health sharing programs, they should use Medi-Share. They've been around the longest (early 90's I believe), they use PHCS as a network so that the member at least gets negotiated rates (I still recommend the member ask their provider if there is a discount for cash paying patients) and a quick google search tells me they will share in the cost of up to two adoptions per household. It's a limited amount, but it will help with those costs a little.

There's really one out there that says this? I don't fool with them so I wouldn't know.

Sounds like their definition of Christian is a whole lot different than mine.

I think its Samaritan. That was a few years ago, maybe they changed it since then,

Several of these health sharing plans popped up after ACA went into full effect. Many had no business doing it. Especially in the name of Christianity.

You really want to read a horror story, check out this long and extensive article. It really is a good read. It could probably become a documentary.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - How Liberty HealthShare Left Thousands With Debt as It Built a Family Empire — ProPublica

Again, this is why I said early on in this thread, if a person is going to use one of the health sharing programs, they should use Medi-Share. They've been around the longest (early 90's I believe), they use PHCS as a network so that the member at least gets negotiated rates (I still recommend the member ask their provider if there is a discount for cash paying patients) and a quick google search tells me they will share in the cost of up to two adoptions per household. It's a limited amount, but it will help with those costs a little.

I don't want help paying for the adoption. Although that is nice. I am talking about NOT COVERING KIDS WHO WERE ADOPTED.

I don't want help paying for the adoption. Although that is nice. I am talking about NOT COVERING KIDS WHO WERE ADOPTED.

I personally know horror story’s on this . It’s not ins as all said. When you go in the hospital you’re uninsured and a cash paying customer . Kgmom you comparing this to mapd is really funny . Mapd is a commercial ppo on steroids . Med sup is the Cadillac and you pay for it . Many can’t afford a Cadillac

Yikes. Pretty sure that isn't Medi-Share since they will help pay for an adoption. Name the health sharing plan. They need to be shamed. I occasionally get calls from clients/prospects asking about health sharing plans and I always point them to Medi-Share if they are dead set on enrolling in one. I've reviewed some others and they have lots of limitations. Not to mention most of these plans are fairly new. Medi-Share has been doing it for 30 years so they have some history.

Again, not my first choice, but I understand why some people do it.

I've had Medishare before. Had it for 4 years I believe. Did not have any issues with it.
Even had to use it. No issues.

Yes, its not insurance.
Yes, the guarantees are not as strong as insurance.

When insurance is affordable, insurance is a better way to go. But for many, insurance is not affordable, and Medishare is a better route.
Whats the point of protecting your assets with insurance, when the insurance itself is making you poor?

Back