Health Coverage for Senior Immigrants/lead

schealthagent

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Hello all I have a question for all you senior experts that could result in a lead for you. A client of mines' in laws are considering retiring to Florida (The Villages.) They are Bahamian citizens and are not sure what their immigration status will be when they move. He is 68 and she is 71. Am I correct in reading that they can't buy in to medicare until they have been in the states for five years? What options would someone in Florida (or any state for that matter) who fits their description have. I think that here they could get into the state pool (I'll have to double check that tomorrow.) Thanks.

Rules no doubt vary from state to state. In CA, they could buy into the MRMIP state risk pool and wait out the five years to purchase Medicare.

It may be the same in FL.

Thanks, I guess they should contact someone who's done it, apparently there's a substantial Bahamian community in the Villages. All of the options look sketchy, IMG was my first instinct too but the pre existing coverage would be pretty scary for the husband. Thanks and Happy New Years.

Back