Health Insurance For College Students

I was filling out the appointment app for BCBS and they require $35,000 in annual premium to keep the contract in MO, so I trashed it. I was focusing on P&C and didn't think I would write much health.

I've heard that all they like to do is steal your whole book anyway, so why even bother with them?
That's pretty brutal. In CA, I'm pretty sure they want a minimum number of new lives each year.

They seem pretty lax on it though. I didn't sell any new plans for three years and kept getting renewals.

GA tried to impose production requirements in an attempt to rid themselves of 70% of their brokers.

As far as I know, they never carried through on the threat.

I never cared for them as a carrier and they still don't give me a good reason to promote them. They are in trouble in a number of states on their individual & small group business. Can't imagine how long that will continue.

For this client profile, I would advise he take a higher deductible/coinsurance plan. Assurant's CoreMed with no office visit copay will give lower premium since he doesn't frequent the doctors often.

Overpriced, at least in my area. Rx has a $2k deductible. Usually better alternatives with other carriers.

The product has been out about 3 years now. Beginning to get some whiskers on it. Renewals are out of sight.

Getting her off the group plan probably makes sense, but I would look at something other than Tonik.

Hmm, must be different in different places. It's not the best product out there, but it is very simple, straightforward, and has first dollar benefits. Go the the doctor, pay $40. People who buy Tonik like that. Generic prescriptions are covered.

Okay, you get screwed as soon as you need an xray or lab work, but hey, that is what it is.

I don't push Tonik, don't sell much, but it definitely has a fit for some individuals.

Dan

Okay, so I am a P&C agent in Missouri (St. Louis) and I have only written a little bit of individual health. I am appointed with Assurant and Golden Rule and I need to quote a friend of mine who is in Grad School.

He works part-time, lives in Kansas City, but doesn't have a lot of money and right now he doesn't have any health insurance at all.

He is 25 years old, single, smokes, drinks occassionally, but he has never had any health problems, hasn't been to the doctor in years. Good height weight ratio.

I think he mentioned that he could get coverage through the school somehow but it was very expensive.

What is a good plan through one of the carriers mentioned that will cover him the best if something catastrophic were to happen, that is also affordable?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 25, 2010

Recent article from the Wall Street Journal giving their research findings regarding health insurance plans offered by colleges for the students.

How College Health Plans Are Failing Students - WSJ.com

The faculty and maintenance people have much better plans than the people who make their jobs, salaries and insurance possible...the students.

-AC

My grandson is at Georgia Tech and he is automatically covered their. He says it's pretty good too. Now if there were a catastrophe I don;t know how good it would be but for regular visits etc it is good he says.

The GaTech plan is like every other plan offered by universities, and it is not "automatic" . . . you have to pay for it.

The plan is OK until you get sick or injured, then you are up the creek without a paddle.

He needs a REAL major medical plan, not the limited benefit plan that is only good at the GT clinic.

Government big-shots say that they love our young people and want what's best for America's future leaders. Yet they allow the Universities to sell plans to these unsuspecting young adults that are full of loopholes. The graduates will pay off their student loans while they and their parents will pay off the medical bills.

Back