Health Insurance help

jese

5Health Insurance help

I want to move out of state, and I am actually thinking about quitting my job and starting over. How long will my insurance cover me before I must pay out of my pocket, and does it carry over like that? Does it depend on the company and the type of insurance I have? I have never done this before, so I am unsure.

It is hard for companies to take me seriously out of state, when I am looking for jobs......They are pretty much hiring people that are already in the area so I don't really know what to do. The area I want to live does not have facilities even close to where I want to move too for transfer. Or should I just look for the closest facility? Which would mean more than one move!!

I am nearing 50, single/no children with avg health so I am taking a huge risk relocating w/o anything, can anyone help? I have BC/BS right now.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Your coverage will lapse when you quit the job I think. If it continues at all it is only until the end of the month of when the last premium was paid by the company. What this means for all practical purposes is you will have to plan on providing your own coverage as soon as you quit. You can do this the cheapest with a temporary plan that is usually available for 6 months but usually can be extended.

As far as quitting, moving, and looking for another job at age 50 that is a fairly risky strategy. If I could transfer closer to the area I wanted to be at I probably would do that first and then continue the job search from there. Two moves would be less stressful and expensive then being unemployed for an extended period.

You have given us no information about your profession so I have no idea of the demand for what you do. If I were job hunting out of state I would be sure to have an in area address to use on my resume and applications even though I hadn't moved yet. In any interview I would explain that that was a temporary addresses and that I was ready to move immediately as soon as employment was offered.

I have a friend who was vacationing in Arizona. He lived in Illinois. He was an auto mechanic. On a lark he filled out a job application at a dealership in Phoenix. Was interviewed and offered the job on the spot making double what he was making. He flew home sold his stuff, packed up his family and stuff and moved. He has been there ever since and is now in management. It can be done.

Last edited:
5Health Insurance help

I want to move out of state, and I am actually thinking about quitting my job and starting over. How long will my insurance cover me before I must pay out of my pocket, and does it carry over like that? Does it depend on the company and the type of insurance I have? I have never done this before, so I am unsure.

It is hard for companies to take me seriously out of state, when I am looking for jobs......They are pretty much hiring people that are already in the area so I don't really know what to do. The area I want to live does not have facilities even close to where I want to move too for transfer. Or should I just look for the closest facility? Which would mean more than one move!!

I am nearing 50, single/no children with avg health so I am taking a huge risk relocating w/o anything, can anyone help? I have BC/BS right now.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

As a 52 yo who lost his job in technology sales last December, and comparing notes with others in my age group caught up in the lay off thing, you would be out of your mind to up and quit and move -- I repeat: out of you mind.

Put together a resume, go out on interviews, and find something you like. Being willing to move will give you a lot of options, but just up and quiting and moving, leave alone starting over, in, say, insurance sales, is crazy talk in these times we are in, especially on the dark side of 40 years old.

In most cases when you quit your job you lose your insurance at the end of the month, but it really depends on your company's policy and policies. Only your carrier knows for sure, although you HR department would have the answers.

Be active, not reactive. I can't stress this enough.

I would reccommend goint to the insuremation website and seeing if you can get a short term (6mos-1year) policy. COBRA is so freaking expensive, you just might find you can do it cheaper through insuremation..
:policeman:[FONT=&quot] Individual Health Insurance[/FONT]

lol. i'm afraid i didn't check the dates... i always forget to do that in forums... i promise my paperwork for work is better :-P

Back