Health Insurance Industry Leaders Share Thoughts..

some companies need to reach in their pockets if we are also expected to pay out the wazoo

Two reasons that doesn't hold water:

Reason #1: no one forces you to put a McDonald's Big Mac in your mouth. Blaming costs on tobacco, fast food, and alcohol companies is ridiculous. That being said, I expect down the road there will be more emphasis here.

Reason #2: companies are simply a collection of people. If you take money out of the company pocketbook, you take it alway from the people within the company. Meaning few jobs and less income. Corporations are mostly collections of honest, hard working middle class people (and lower class), not the greedy monsters they are portrayed to be as an excuse to get in their checking accounts.

Pure speculation, but I would expect that premium spread between higher deductible and lower deductible plans to widen. If you have a sick kid, your family isn't going to put that kid on a $10,000 deductible plan (or even $5,000). However, if the sick kid can switch plans at any point in the year to a lower deductible plan when necessary (states without an enrollment period), then that theory won't hold water.

They will if that is all they can afford
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And as the health insurance companies are forced to raise prices in order to cover all of the preventive services now mandated (and remain compliant) then everyone will gripe about the cost. They are being forced into a no win.

The higher prices are what this administration wants. Now they can resume their campaign against the big bad insurance companies and force us into a single payer system.

Exactly !
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Two reasons that doesn't hold water:

Reason #1: no one forces you to put a McDonald's Big Mac in your mouth. Blaming costs on tobacco, fast food, and alcohol companies is ridiculous. That being said, I expect down the road there will be more emphasis here.

Reason #2: companies are simply a collection of people. If you take money out of the company pocketbook, you take it alway from the people within the company. Meaning few jobs and less income. Corporations are mostly collections of honest, hard working middle class people (and lower class), not the greedy monsters they are portrayed to be as an excuse to get in their checking accounts.

I agree.
Medicare Medigap Insurance
Medicare Supplemental Plans
Aetna Humana Blue Cross Blue Shield
American Seniors Insurance
Medigap insurance medicare supplement plan f
Medicare Supplement News

Last edited:
And as the health insurance companies are forced to raise prices in order to cover all of the preventive services now mandated (and remain compliant) then everyone will gripe about the cost. They are being forced into a no win.

Phone conversation yesterday with a referral. "I'm retiring on Dec. 30th and need coverage Jan. 1, what am I looking at for health insurance costs?"

Me: "I can give you a general idea of numbers right now, but it will likely change a fare amount by Jan. 1 due to the recent legislation that was passed."

Future Retiree: "You mean it should be going down?"

Me: "No, the other direction."

Future Retiree: "I thought we passed the health care reform to take care of that."

Me: "Nope. It added more mandatory benefits, someone has to pay for it."

Future Retiree: "That's a load of bull ****."

Last edited:
Phone conversation yesterday with a referral. "I'm retiring on Dec. 30th and need coverage Jan. 1, what am I looking at for health insurance costs?"

Me: "I can give you a general idea of numbers right now, but it will likely change a fare amount by Jan. 1 due to the recent legislation that was passed."

Future Retiree: "You mean it should be going down?"

Me: "No, the other direction."

Future Retiree: "I thought we passed the health care reform to take care of that."

Me: "Nope. It added more mandatory benefits, someone has to pay for it."

Future Retiree: "That's a load of bull ****."

I've had that same conversation 3 times this week, and it's only Tuesday.

Back