"Health Insurance Isn't All It's Cracked Up to Be"

Golddoor said:
You actually admitted that you played hockey on an app?

Sure. I think honesty is the best policy. You never know when non-disclosure could come back to haunt you, as I'll explain.

Even if you had an injury you could just say that you wasn't playing when you applied for insurance but you have started playing since. If there is no exclusion for sports related activities then they cant deny payment. I have raced Motocross professionally and I also train and compete in JuJitsu,Kickboxing and wrestling. Insururers nightmare huh? I have had both group and individual health coverage for this whole time with no issues. One would not even mention the fact that they do any type of physical sport or activity when applying for coverage. I quit counting the injuries I have received from both of these sports a long time ago. But when I get injured, I also don't tell that its from any of these types of activities. I either claim I got hurt falling from a bicycle or I have even said that I fell off a porch and a ladder. Works for me!!

Even if I had no ethical issues with doing that myself, which I probably would, think about what it could do for catastrophic claims. You might get away with that for small claims and there's a good chance that you would never get a serious injury that would be denied, but it could happen.

You mentioned motocross, as did I. Now, you might have an injury you seek later medical attention for and you would likely be able to fabricate some sort of explanation. However, what if you were unconscious and carted off the track in an ambulance for a major injury? You've got your helmet, boots, and protective gear on when you're wheeled into the ER. Believe me, it WILL be documented that your injuries occurred during a motorcycle racing event and the insurance company WILL see it. A good company might give you the benefit of the doubt and pay the claim, but a bastard of a company could deny you.

The same thing can happen in various other sports and activities. I go to many of these local NHB fighting events that are just regular local guys with a day job that are hoping to someday get on Spike TV or some other bigger ticket at their shot. Serious injuries that require IMMEDIATE attention are rare in that sport, as it's not as dangerous as the casual onlooker thinks, but if for some reason you were wheeled into the ER with your trunks and handwraps on, it WOULD be documented on your records. When I used to play hockey, I would walk by the stretcher with the neck restraint they kept at the rink, because it's understandable that a very serious injury could occur there. More than one person has been paralyzed from a hockey injury. If I were to ever get rolled in with my shinguards and skates on, my medical records would record an ice hockey injury. In fact, a goaltender that played on the last team I played for played goal for about four different teams (common for a goalie---in high demand) was playing for one of his other teams and one of the opposing players got hauled down from behind on a breakaway. In a fluke accident that skater's blade landed on the inside, underside of the goalie's thigh and sliced all the way into his artery. Fortunately, the hospital was about two minutes away, but I'm sure he was hauled in with his pads still on and his medical records indicate an accurate account of what happened.

As health insurance agents, what do you guys say all the time? "You may be able to handle some of the small claims, and it's the catastrophic events that you need to be concerned about." By not disclosing accurate info on your health application, there are scenarios where you could be exposed to massive claims with no coverage. I myself would prefer to just be upfront about it and if that company doesn't want my business I'll go elsewhere.

Again the point of the whole thing is just that we can't turn dollars over to consumers and expect everyone to run to individual policies because it won't work for every lifestyle, let alone those that are medically uninsurable. Group insurance does not really have the ability to deny such claims. I could get a call from Johnny Knoxville tomorrow about starring on Jackass 3 and there is little my insurance coverage could do about having to pay my injuries from only God knows what.

NHB MMA,

I have been carted in with my gear on several times. I actually broke my collarbone and a wrist and was unconscious and took in via ambulance. and no I didn't tell them that i was racing only riding. And even so most insurance apps don't ask you if you race motox or compete in sports do they? Can someone show me where that question is asked on an app? So how about kids that compete in Hockey, Football or any other sports? are they declined because of it?

My son competes in wrestling and football and has for the last 6 years and has had several injuries that we told the doc and the insurance company what actually happened and never had a problem. I mean are we supposed to lock ourselves in a closet if we have medical insurance?

Most health insurance companies will decline if you play professional sports. In the case of weekend car racing it would be a rider or a decline depending on the carrier. High school sports isn't an issue.

john_petrowski said:
Most health insurance companies will decline if you play professional sports. In the case of weekend car racing it would be a rider or a decline depending on the carrier. High school sports isn't an issue.

"Professional" is the key word here. NHB MMA stated that he played recreational hockey, not professional hockey. They cant hold that against you. And for martial arts I don't remember that being an issue either unless you compete professionally. Even car racing, i don't remember any app question for health insurance that ask if you are a weekend car racer. and even so motor vehicle racing has way less injuries than other main stream sports. My god someone is hurt and or breaking bones every week on my sons football team.

Assurant Health application question #12:

"Have any of the proposed insured ever participated in organized racing including but not limited to, automobile, motorcycle or powerboat racing of any of the following activities: skydiving, ultralight flying, scuba diving, hang gliding, rock or mountain climbing?"

Notice they say "organized" and not "professional" which means even if it's for fun and not for money you still have to disclose it.

On top of that, there are occupations that are a deline for all health insurance companies. You don't see "are you a pilot?" on an application. It's the agent's job to know the underwriting guidelines and make sure you follow them.

Golddoor said:
NHB MMA,
And even so most insurance apps don't ask you if you race motox or compete in sports do they? Can someone show me where that question is asked on an app?

I just saw one about hazardous activities or recreation on the application I filled out back then. I was just being safe rather than sorry.

From my own point of view, I wouldn't say anything factually misleading on an application or to a physician when receiving care. If I were asked if I was injured during a racing event, for example, I wouldn't lie about it.

Can someone show me where that question is asked on an app? So how about kids that compete in Hockey, Football or any other sports? are they declined because of it?

My son competes in wrestling and football and has for the last 6 years and has had several injuries that we told the doc and the insurance company what actually happened and never had a problem. I mean are we supposed to lock ourselves in a closet if we have medical insurance?

I think kids get more of a pass because it's more normal for them to be participating in some kind of sports, whereas fewer adults play any kind of competitive team sport as they get out of school and onto a different point in their lives. And they're a secondary part of any health contract, with the parents still being far greater candidates for catastophic claims.

Golddoor said:
"Professional" is the key word here. NHB MMA stated that he played recreational hockey, not professional hockey.

I got the impression they would have declined me if were a full-contact league. I always wanted to play in one (at my modest skill level), but they only seem to have them in the big-time hockey cities. I can understand it, as all the wankster wannabes would turn it into a league of constant fighting and cheapshots. Those kind can't seem to implement bodychecking as a part of the game while maintaining some degree of sportsmanship. :?

john_petrowski said:
Notice they say "organized" and not "professional" which means even if it's for fun and not for money you still have to disclose it.

Exactly. I want to (1) be honest on my application and (2) have peace of mind that if I were seriously injured doing some activity the insurance company will not attempt to weasel out of it and stick me with the bill.

It's just one thing that makes me prefer some features of group over individual coverage. If I have to buy my own coverage at some point, such as if I end up completely as an indy like many guys here, I will probably join the Allegheny County Chamber of Commerce and get group BCBS through them, even though it will cost more. It's just my thing. As I mentioned, individual health is a wonderful product for many people that don't have some of the concerns I do.

john_petrowski said:
Assurant Health application question #12:

"Have any of the proposed insured ever participated in organized racing including but not limited to, automobile, motorcycle or powerboat racing of any of the following activities: skydiving, ultralight flying, scuba diving, hang gliding, rock or mountain climbing?"

On top of that, there are occupations that are a deline for all health insurance companies. You don't see "are you a pilot?" on an application. It's the agent's job to know the underwriting guidelines and make sure you follow them.

Unicare doesn't ask that question on their apps. And I don't understand why being a pilot is an issue? You go down in a plane there are no med bills, Just a life insurance claim!

So if someone wanted to get on an individual plan they would to be a straight arrow? Nothing besides get up, go to work, come home, watch TV, go to bed. Thats really sad because people who are active and participate in sports are healthier and live longer than those who follow the insurance companies way. Yea they may break a bone or get a cut here and there, but people whom are inactive have the serious med bills that come with being out of shape and siting around watching TV and eating popcorn. I dont have room to list all the problems that come with that!!

Back