Healthcare.GOV affordability

bucrepus

I have a question I need some advice on. My daughter is a single mom with two children. She brings home approx $600 a week. She nor her children are eligible for All Kids or Medicaid. She tried to get family insurance through the Marketplace for 2020 but it says since the insurance her job offers her at the 'single' rate meets the min. value standard she can't get coverage on the marketplace. However to cover her children at the family rate on her job would cost almost $700 a month. There is no way she can pay rent and survive having to pay that much for family coverage. Since her children aren't eligible for anything else she doesn't know how to insure them, since if she takes the single plan through her job it won't cover them.

The kids can buy catastorophic aca policies at full price at about $200 each per month. Or, they can buy a short term major medical non aca plan for half that price

Wow, kids have routine doctor visits and they get sick more frequently being in school. She can't afford paying out of pocket for that. I guess that is punishment for working. She would be better off going back to part time and making less or not working at all. What a shame.

Wow, kids have routine doctor visits and they get sick more frequently being in school. She can't afford paying out of pocket for that. I guess that is punishment for working. She would be better off going back to part time and making less or not working at all. What a shame.

Correct. Obamacare rewards you for working less and sitting on the couch. They even help u pay for netflix and free telemed from your recliner

Thanks for the replies. I guess I may have to help her with her work insurance premiums. Maybe someone can fix this healthcare system (probably not). It's been broken for as long as I can remember.

Hi there, I understand this predicament, so many people are in it, and it absolutely stinks. Are you absolutely sure she doesn't qualify for Medicaid, like has she applied and if rejected, went in and actually spoke to someone so that she can make sure there isn't something on her application that could be fixed/explained/etc and make her eligible? That's really not a big salary, and falls under 150% of poverty level for a 3 person household. So unless she has some major assets or something it seems "off" that she wouldn't qualify. That's really the best route to go, even if its just for the kids' coverage. As an alternative, you might look up a Kemper agent in your area and have her get a quote from them, if she and the kids have no major pre-existing conditions. That's the only real comparable option that I've found personally, if Medicaid, Marketplace, and employer aren't feasible. It's not "cheap", but if they're young and healthy, it should be better than $700/mo. As an alternative to a catastrophic plan, look into Christian Healthcare Ministries. You don't have to be a super active religious person to get it, it's just what it's geared more towards. They help with costs over a certain "responsibility amount", so if she can save up enough for a little cushion for regular stuff like well child and sick visits, and find a doctor that works with her on visit pricing done in cash, then CHM will provide that safety net she needs for something like a hospitalization or injury or surgery. Sending positive energy your way, I hope you are able to help her find something that works!

Back