Heartland Financial Group/Heartland National ..

izzy1954 said:
I looked at HF and when I found out they aren't AM Best rated, I passed. If you've ever had a company go down on you, it's not a pleasant experience. It's not worth it to deal with a non-rated company.

How do you get companies to go down on you? You my friend are a pimp...

:D your post is just as Inane as mine was. Plus I have nothing to gain from an Inane post. I was just pointing out something funny.

Join date of 2010.. you really think I'm making Inane posts with an alternative motive?

Well, I might have thought it funny if it made any sense to me but I didn't understand it at all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I looked at HF and when I found out they aren't AM Best rated, I passed. If you've ever had a company go down on you, it's not a pleasant experience. It's not worth it to deal with a non-rated company.

I have been through four company failures and all them had an AM Best rating. In fact during the 80s and 90s when companies were failing left and right, very few were unrated..

Last edited:
Ratings on med sups companies are not an issue at all. If the company tanks then the person is GI to any other company in the state.

No reason at all to be concerned with them going out of business. The worst case is that they stay in business but raise the hell out of the rates.

Well, I might have thought it funny if it made any sense to me but I didn't understand it at all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Maybe I can help. Trolling is what's known to the online community as almost joking, or messing around, or doing the exact opposite of what your supposed to or expected to do, although it's not necessary limited to that. Trolling can get plain annoying if taken to far, but in limited amounts it can be humors.

For instance, had I been sitting in the same room as Margaritas and he said what he said about Heartland, I would of either laughed out loud or just blankly stared at him, I'm undecided :D. What he said is so far from the truth, for me, and apparently most people, that's why I replied with Trolling level 9000.

Hopefully you gained something from this post and you will get the next one. ;)

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do know M&M personally and I respect his opinion.

Just last week we talked and I specifically asked him about this thread since I knew that Heartland was one of his carriers.

His response was, "No problems".

His agency has writes business in 14 states and Heartland is one of his primary resources.

He was also willing to share information on how his agents market their product and their results.

So laugh and poke fun of him all you want. I imagine he is doing more laughing than you.

As for your experience with a carrier, I can't speak for them personally since they are not competitive in the states where I market. But I do know that sometimes agent complaints about a carrier are valid, sometimes not.

I also know that some agents don't do a very good job of understanding the product, the application process and how to deal with home offices and they end up complaining about things where it is mostly the agent who is at fault.

Not saying that is the case here.

This is about contracts signed on a captive basis.

Somorco, if you do a quick search of Heartland you will see anyone who has worked on the captive side has had problems.

I generally turn the other way when I read complaints on here as most can be attributed to an agents work ethic or lack of knowledge.

This is a simple case of not getting paid and letting them know I wasn't writing anything else with them.

This was their/his response. It's only the tip of considering what else he has sent me.

It's not acceptable.

Captive is a great way to learn this business, but if you work in that kind of environment more than 3 - 6 months you will end up feeling like you are getting screwed.

Truth is, the reason those contracts are written favorably toward your employer is, they are willing to invest a considerable amount of time and $$$ to train your butt. If you walk, you forfeit renewals and may have a chargeback.

Get your training, learn all you can, then move on. All of us started somewhere and most started out either as captives or (in my case) as home office employees working with agents.

I learned a lot, not only about the industry but the sales process. I also discovered there were more than enough doofus agents out there that I could run circles around.

At times I made OK money and others did exceptionally well. The only time I got screwed was with my last employer where I had a 2 yr non-compete . . . which I honored to the letter.

Problem was, my replacement couldn't sell rubber life rafts from a booth with a neon lighted sign on the deck of the Titanic. He convinced my former employer it was because I was violating my non-compete . . . which I wasn't.

I spent a year and $20k of hard earned money before they finally backed off.

I did learn a lesson. Never trust anyone that signs your paycheck.

It's not a "feeling" of getting screwed. It's a fact.

I've been in the industry for over ten years.

They promised a lot of stuff but haven't followed through. They invested zero dollars to train me.

I was already trained.

You also are ignoring the context/behavior associated with said company.

It's a warning. No other point is to be made.

Ratings on med sups companies are not an issue at all. If the company tanks then the person is GI to any other company in the state.

No reason at all to be concerned with them going out of business. The worst case is that they stay in business but raise the hell out of the rates.

JD, as you know from my previous posts I am not a slave to the ratings. However, I don't see how a company going belly up could not be a reason for concern. True, the insured would be GI to go to any company they desired but what about pending claims? If the company doesn't have the resources to pay your claims when they go under, then you are going to be responsible for paying them.

JD, as you know from my previous posts I am not a slave to the ratings. However, I don't see how a company going belly up could not be a reason for concern. True, the insured would be GI to go to any company they desired but what about pending claims? If the company doesn't have the resources to pay your claims when they go under, then you are going to be responsible for paying them.

These companies have re-insurance or they couldn't do business in any state.

Back