Held Hostage By Upline Forever?

Well, the Forum's ready to help.

You mean "fight?"

Justify imagine if you had put all of your contracts there.

My eggs aren't all in one basket for sure, although I'm slowly consolidating. Even then I was a little leery.

So, I emailed him again earlier and he replied back. He's not approving to move this appointment, as he "introduced" me to them. I think he's po'd because I would't stay with his organization (although I never heard from him once in four years, just emails from his upline).

I wrote back that I am almost speechless this is even legal or ethical for someone who claims to be an insurance professional to hold an agent hostage

Time to do some lobbying to have these regulations changed. And also to spread the word to other agents about being careful who they place business with.

He did absolutely nothing, except have me appointed with the carrier and I could have gotten that from any other FMO.

My new upline said that due to his/their hierarchy level, the carrier won't allow a move without a release from them.

So, I emailed him again earlier and he replied back. He's not approving to move this appointment, as he "introduced" me to them. I think he's po'd because I would't stay with his organization (although I never heard from him once in four years, just emails from his upline).

I wrote back that I am almost speechless this is even legal or ethical for someone who claims to be an insurance professional to hold an agent hostage

Time to do some lobbying to have these regulations changed. And also to spread the word to other agents about being careful who they place business with.

He did absolutely nothing, except have me appointed with the carrier and I could have gotten that from any other FMO.

My new upline said that due to his/their hierarchy level, the carrier won't allow a move without a release from them.
Can you cancel your contract with the carrier and recontract in 6 months?

This guy sounds like a slimeball. I wonder who this douche is? ;)

Last edited:
That is crazy. I don’t have much experience with uplines other that Med Supps and he’s a local guy. Is it in your contract the conditions of a release? Could you sue the IMO in small claims court for disrupting your business ( just to piss them off)? I know a guy who was being harassed by an agency after signing a no compete clause. He left the agency and went out on his own and they stated he could not solicit insurance so many miles from their office. He was not contacting their policy owners sued the agency and won.

I'm on the East Coast and he's on the West Coast, so suing won't work.

His agency/upline is a holiding company of the carrier, it turns out. That's why he has the power. I could write to them to complain, but since he's obviously a big producer, they will do nothing.

I'm going to see if there's a "workaround." Maybe I can write the group business and have someone else do the ancillaries. Or just write them with another carrier.

Pathetic! I hate to see this and agree this is a huge problem in this business.

If it was me, I'd go to the company directly first...state your case (you haven't produced for them in years) and tell them what you want to do and see where it goes. Read your contract first so you know your rights.
Worst case, you should be able to cancel with the company and re contract with them 6 mos out.
They can't keep you from cancelling your contract.

If it was me, I'd go to the company directly first...state your case (you haven't produced for them in years) and tell them what you want to do and see where it goes. Read your contract first so you know your rights.

Worst case, you should be able to cancel with the company and re contract with them 6 mos out.

They can't keep you from cancelling your contract

Thanks, pfg1. I will send them a letter about this, then and see what they say. And I'll review the contract first. The broker may not have even been with the big FMO at the time; I'll have to look at his posts on the forum. I think he became part of them later so maybe there's an escape clause.

They can't keep you from cancelling your contract

Thanks, pfg1. I will send them a letter about this, then and see what they say. And I'll review the contract first. The broker may not have even been with the big FMO at the time; I'll have to look at his posts on the forum. I think he became part of them later so maybe there's an escape clause.
Could you just not use that carrier. I don't know which carrier you're talking about. I don't sell the short term policies, but I think National General has good short term plans. :yes:

Back