Help: Applied General Agency?

I'm with AGA. Getting a response from their area managers is nearly impossible. I send emails and leave voicemails and rarely get a response. And when I do, it's 3 to 6 weeks after my original email.

My manager has stated several times in multiple different trainings that they will release agents - and that we own our book - which I'm sure will be tested if one was actually going to leave.

My first AEP I sold about 80 MAPD plans in San Diego with AGA booking all those appointments. I have a 90% closing rate, so I do pay them a $50 "lead fee" when I sell, but I don't have to spend any $ on marketing or chasing leads, I simply show up to the appointment and meet with the client. In nearly 90 appointments booked, only 2 have been no-shows - that's an acceptable %.

HOWEVER, this year, (AEP 2012 for 2013 policies), I have not received a single lead yet (it is 11/2 today). I'm licensed with all the required carriers, very reliable, great closing ratio, have 30+ hours to commit to running appointments, but have not received 1 lead this year.

AGA has their good points, but does have some bad things going on over there. They do pay residuals, they are paying me monthly on both IFP's I've submitted, as well as past MAPD deals I've done. So I haven't been worried about the commissions, and get a detailed printout each month (by mail) with direct deposit commissions. I can also track all my clients in their back-office portal (which isn't all that great - but works).

After this AEP, I will no longer rely on them for leads - as they've proved they don't have enough for the amount of agents they recruit - even the "good" agents who are loyal, close deals and are fully appointed with all the required carriers.

So AGA stretches the truth ("lies") about their ability to give leads to their agents - so don't believe the hype, and don't expect to get ahold of your manager.

So here's a good question - what BENEFIT would it be to leave AGA and go direct with each carrier?

Last edited:
I have posted many times and in fact was threatened by AGA's lawyers for the truth about them.

Applied General Agency is bad news. The owner did not pay me renewal commissions (learned the lesson about assigning) and would not release me from a contract. Patrick Rodriguez is the owner and everyone needs to be warned.

Rick

So, any new news on AGA? I was almost contracted with them yesterday. But, emailed them and cancelled (and received confirmation) - I read the "AGA Gold PRODUCE Agreement" and found a question. Then I search here and now I still have cold feet. BUT, the 50% co-op advertising SURE SOUNDS GOOD. They'll pay for 50% advertising of whatever I want to do! Or, charge 50% for leads they produce. Sooooo, maybe they're different now?

Back