Help! Car damaged, possibly totaled...need advice!

Your policy expired 12/4. You paid the premium today 12/7. The accident was yesterday 12/6 and you concealed the accident from the insurance company when you made the payment and intend to reveal the accident when you confirm that your coverage has been renewed back to 12/4.

You can hope but I'm not sure that will fly. Look in your policy booklet for General Provisions, usually the last few pages, and find something that looks like this:

View attachment 4871

It might or might not include words like concealment and misrepresentation but you get the idea.

I could be wrong. You'll just have to see how things play out.

Merely processing a payment wouldn't be concealment or fraud. However, if while processing the payment it required a statement or verification of no losses during the lapse, that would be concealment.

If Progressive doesnt cover the claim, you may have a long shot to recover damages from the party that had the furniture in the road if that party was ever identified.

Nowwhat.....I know it stinks when your vehicle is not available for use. It is Saturday and you might not be able to check the status of your policy today. You need to speak with someone at the carrier, your agent if you have one. You need to find out if your payment was accepted and if the policy was continued without a lapse or if it was reinstated with a lapse. The simple fact that you made the payment does not mean that you are good to go. Don't panic. An underwriting team at the insurer will decide after the payment has processed if you are still a customer. Cal you agent today or Monday and get the policy status. the billing/underwriters have done one of 4 things. 1) terminated your policy and returned the premium, 2) applied a portion of the premium and returned the balance because the policy was terminated by you for late pay, 3) reinstated with a lapse, 4) continued in force without a lapse.
You are hoping for #4. This is the only option which will help with your current situation.

Latest posts

Back