HELP- Need to Make $ in Health Industry

John LaGiglio

I'm waiting on my license for life/ health to come any day now! Need to make money now! Don't have time to get screwed around, need to support my family. Been working at a broker for 3 months, doing everything under the sun, but I know I'm gonna have a problem with my Manager already! Didn't sign contract yet. Could anyone give me some solid direction where I can go and make money immediately in or around the Chicago area??? Getting bad vibes from this soon to be manager!!! Thanks

So you have not learned anything in the 3 months you have been working for the broker?

So you have not learned anything in the 3 months you have been working for the broker?

I learned a lot, ignorant, moody, arrogant, and even tries taking a commission out of my bonuses ! It's only gonna get worse, he only answers me when he feels like it. May take a day or may take a week but he's costing me money and I'm losing friendships!

First thing would be to try another broker. If you have a family to feed, I wouldn't set out on my own unless I had a good start at a broker office first. Then you can decide if it is worth the risk to be solo.

Are you qualified to sell Medicare plans? If not, that may be a way to boost your revenue with a steady stream of prospects. Takes some effort at first, but there are zillions of people turning 65 each year.

I learned a lot, ignorant, moody, arrogant, and even tries taking a commission out of my bonuses ! It's only gonna get worse, he only answers me when he feels like it. May take a day or may take a week but he's costing me money and I'm losing friendships!

How much do you feel that you have learned about the health insurance industry in those 3 months? Do you have a base of knowledge and experience so you can support your family in this industry? What level of sales have you achieved? You mentioned a bonus - was that for a high level of sales? You also mentioned that he tried to take commission from it, was that for a lost account? I am asking these questions to help you determine if health insurance sales is a good idea for someone who needs to support a family. With Obamacare, a large percentage of health agents have LEFT this industry rather than enter it. One person mentioned Medicare Supp sales, which may be an excellent idea.

The really big question here is how are you able to work in the industry, get paid, and not have a license? How could anyone pay you for production when your license is not active? I do not care where in the states you live or work, you are not allowed to collect commissions if you are not a licensed agent.

Now that I have made that point, if a manager is not responsive to you, it is time to move on; I do not care what the potential is earn money. Perhaps you have been lead down a garden path so now is the time to bail and find a new home.

What have you been prospecting for and/or selling? That might help us determine where to suggest you look.

My deals were just not in my name. Bonuses were on a per deal basis not fall-offs. He decided since I'm new and he did a lot of the work that he should get 60/40 cut, me 60%, plus his manager commission.
I've gained a lot of knowledge in the Health field in 3 months, obviously not an expert yet but getting bad vibes just from arrogance and ignorance. I'm in the Chicago area if that helps.
No Medicare experience.
Thank you

John

Last edited:
Back