Holy Smokes, Check Out These Closes!

Here is a list of closes, now I post this and I know some ideological battle will break out of this. My note to closing is that it is an extension of the buying process. It has its time within the sales cycle. Even different industries have different closes. The type of close used will vary between length of sales cycle, type of industry, size of sale and complexity (requiring contact with the salesman/company after the deal is accomplished).

A good salesman will be able to ask good questions to a prospect that will help them correctly figure out if a problem does in fact exist, focus on the implications of the problem, find if there is an explicit need to fill, present solution, and ask if it makes sense for them to move forward.

When asked in a manner that denotes an attitude of care, concern, professionalism, and respect, asking if it makes sense to move forward is only natural. A prospect that raises an objection has at heart some concern that wasn't address or addressed enough, whether it was really the initial objection in the first place or a smoke screen for what is behind it.

Some salesmen will say they don't close, but they let the customer buy, which is a clever way of helping the prospect admit to an explicit need, (which is a need expressed by the prospect of a solution to their problem that has implications uncovered during the research stage of the sales cycle), which they then present the solution which fills all the needs.

It is true, letting people buy is easier than trying to close people, but there's nothing wrong with testing the water, or closing along the way, whether you section off the presentation with a "hinge", or do "check-ins" to assess understanding, interest, and to take the next step in the sales cycle.

I put these closes here so that you can peer behind the intelligence that has created these closes from another era, some recent as well. Some may seem ok, which many could be as long as you have uncovered explicit needs. Without explicit needs, there is a problem that has not enough consequence or weight to produce any pain or desire to change that pain.
Enjoy!

Closing techniques
One of the most important stages of selling is closing the deal, which is the actions taken by the sales person to gain agreement to the sale. There are many closing techniques in sales, which are prescribed actions that sales people take to persuade the customer to make the necessary commitment. Here are some of these:
This is a big list, but the real list of closing techniques is almost endless. You can go to each need, for example, and invent several closes around satisfying or threatening them. Here are closing tips to help you further.
'Sell on the tangibles, close on the intangibles' is good general advice. Note how many of these methods follow this rule.
Don't forget the caveat in all of this. If people feel tricked or otherwise betrayed, they will not only not buy from you now, they may well never buy from you ever again or even turn all their friends against you. In particular beware of using unsubtle techniques with professional buyers, who can usually see them coming from miles away.

Thank you so much I'd love to distribute these.

John, I think you mean "Bimmer". Beemer refers to the motorcycles. Trust me on this one. I have been a Bimmer guy for years. If you refer to their vehicles as a Beemer/Beamer on an enthusiast forum, you will be tarred and feathered.

true! My ex is a Beemer fan, not a Bimmer fan! haha :) There's definitely a difference!

Where does acting cute come from?

I had always known the puppy dog close as when a pet store would let a family take the puppy home with them, and the kid would fall in love, and they would not return it. Electrolux did this also, let a housewife keep a vacuum overnight to fall in love with it.

One thing is this, you'll read all of these and remember none, unless you formulate a script with them, practice it and use it again and again, and read these again and again until they become a habit, which takes 21 to 30 days depending on who you ask.

One of the best closes I've ever heard was from an old guy I worked with early in my career. He was a life long smoker and had that deep smokers voice. He wouldn't do this every time, but after making his presentation he would lean back in his chair and say, "It would take an *** not to do this". I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. Didn't work all the time, but he certainly closed some deals with it.

I have yet to try it myself. The reason I say it's one of the best I've ever heard is because you just don't expect someone to say something like that. He wasn't rude when he said it. He was saying it somewhat jokingly and the prospect could pick up on it after the rapport he had built with them. Fun to watch.

Great stuff. Thanks for posting. Still, the best closing is an effective opening. How hard do we want to work at the end of the presentation? I'd rather walk away early if they aren't going to buy. Am I nuts? Maybe.

I did something similar yet unintentional. I sold a Humana policy and the guy called back to cancel because (shared leads) he got "sold" on a bogus discount plan by a scamming (or scummy) agent. After about 35 minutes of trying to get through to him I let my frustration get the best of me and said "you have to be the dumbest person I ever spoke to! And then I hung up on him.

After about a minute, he called back and asked my sales assistant to tell me to keep the Humana policy.

We called it the The Dumbest Close. Never used it again though.

One of the best closes I've ever heard was from an old guy I worked with early in my career. He was a life long smoker and had that deep smokers voice. He wouldn't do this every time, but after making his presentation he would lean back in his chair and say, "It would take an *** not to do this". I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. Didn't work all the time, but he certainly closed some deals with it.

I have yet to try it myself. The reason I say it's one of the best I've ever heard is because you just don't expect someone to say something like that. He wasn't rude when he said it. He was saying it somewhat jokingly and the prospect could pick up on it after the rapport he had built with them. Fun to watch.

It reminds me of the "slap in the face close" we used at Pontiac. If they argued with the price I'd haul off and slap them in the face. Then they'd shake their head, say "thanks, I needed that" and bought.

Back