Hot Medicare News

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
(From an FMO):

I’m sure you have seen the delay in Original Medicare Part A & B enrollments. If you have tried to call into Social Security to check on the status of a pending application more than likely you were disconnected from the line.

Please make sure you are explaining to your clients the potential delays and that they should be enrolling ahead of schedule to avoid conflicts. Medicare announced that because of these issues that people will be given extra time to sign up for Original Medicare from January 1, 2022- December 30, 2022. This means that late enrollment penalties will not apply. Read more here: https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-started-with-medicare/sign-up/ready-to-sign-up-for-part-a-part-b

Unfortunately, we do not have all the answers to your questions at this time. Due to the issues at hand, we would not recommend calling Social Security for answers. We simply wanted to pass along the information in front of us to the best of our ability.

When I left Social Security in March, I was not the only one. In my agency, we're burning through new hires almost as bad as the life insurance industry. On top of losing people that have been there 7+ years.

I didn't know how stressed I really was until two weeks after I left.

(From an FMO):

I’m sure you have seen the delay in Original Medicare Part A & B enrollments. If you have tried to call into Social Security to check on the status of a pending application more than likely you were disconnected from the line.

Please make sure you are explaining to your clients the potential delays and that they should be enrolling ahead of schedule to avoid conflicts. Medicare announced that because of these issues that people will be given extra time to sign up for Original Medicare from January 1, 2022- December 30, 2022. This means that late enrollment penalties will not apply. Read more here: https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-started-with-medicare/sign-up/ready-to-sign-up-for-part-a-part-b

Unfortunately, we do not have all the answers to your questions at this time. Due to the issues at hand, we would not recommend calling Social Security for answers. We simply wanted to pass along the information in front of us to the best of our ability.

Have any of you getting a local Congressional office involved? I have success when I assist them doing it online, but currently have one who cannot get his PART B since January when we started! He was so close until a SS telephone employee told him that he should st
When I left Social Security in March, I was not the only one. In my agency, we're burning through new hires almost as bad as the life insurance industry. On top of losing people that have been there 7+ years.

I didn't know how stressed I really was until two weeks after I left.

In your opinion, does a Congressional office have any "pull" in getting a Medicare application processed? I have a customer who applied online in Dec (65= Aug 2021), but then was told by a SSA person on the phone that he did not need Part B because he had coverage through work. Customer pays about $700/mo premium for EGC, which is why he wants his B.
His Part B was dropped, so he had to re-apply to get it back per SSA rep's instructions.
We have been waiting last since early February when customer, SSA and I were on a three-way call, all of us thinking that an April 1 Part B effective date would be possible. That date has just passed- sigh.

In your opinion, does a Congressional office have any "pull" in getting a Medicare application processed

So, technically it makes it "more" of a priority. However, with the current SSA issues, I wouldn't expect it to be resolved as quickly as it would if times were normal.

Can it hurt? Nope.
Will it resolve quicker? Maybe.
Will it resolve as fast as fast as you want it to? Lol.

Note: there is a SEP for backdated (late) Social Security notifications of start dates. I had one that received their first notice letter in October 2021 of Part B effective July 1 2021. With the SEP the person was able to enroll in a PDP prior to 1/1/22 open enrollment and avoid the penalty for not enrolling when first eligible for Part D. If you can't find the SEP, check with Humana. They have a comprehensive list of SEP's. Re: other coverage. We also wrote a MedSupp no problem with medical questions, as it was within 6 months of Part B. Not sure if a MedSupp exception would be available if over 6 months of backdating and no timely notice.

I’m having tremendous response to pulling in a congressional rep…depending on which one it is.

But telling clients to say “are you going to get this done or do I need to call my congressional rep” is equally effective.

(From an FMO):

This is good, and I am suggesting my clients sign up online. They call the local office who tells them they need an appointment, often well past the date the client's 1st date of eligibility, if they waited past 3 months out from month eligible.
Anyone have feedback from clients using their mySocialSecurity account to add Part B, which is suggested as an option in the link above.

That is the way to go by setting up an account and enrolling online. I have been helping most of my clients with the process. As long as they have an email address and are able to access it in your office you can do it in 15 minutes. One guy had his number and good to go within 10 days. We called 1-800-Medicare just to check and he was enrolled already. Not all are going that fast and even the ones already drawing SS are not getting their card 3 months ahead of effective date like they used to.

This is good, and I am suggesting my clients sign up online. They call the local office who tells them they need an appointment, often well past the date the client's 1st date of eligibility, if they waited past 3 months out from month eligible.
Anyone have feedback from clients using their mySocialSecurity account to add Part B, which is suggested as an option in the link above.

I have had some part B special enrollments go through in 5 days but others more than 45 days.Just had a lady who I helped apply online for SEP part B online over 60 days ago .She called social security about two weeks ago and was told they don't couldn't find her application even though she had an email confirmation the application was sent.I told her that is not the first time a client has reported to me that they were told by a SS rep that no application was found then lo and behold the medicare is activated week later . I advised this client to call SS again last week to check status of application and SS rep enrolled her in part B special enrollment over the phone and the Medicare was active as of monday.So I guess they have made some changes recently

You can pretty much tell instantly when a SS/Medicare representative answers the phone how much help they are going to be. Many times I hang up and redial until I get someone that sounds like they might actually care and try to help. This goes for every insurance company I call too. It takes a little longer but at least you may get somewhere and not waste your time on someone who has a 5% chance of actually helping you.

Back