How Are Most Affording Health Care These Days? Any Suggestions?

Re: How Are Most Affording Health Care These Days? Any Suggestio

The way to affordable health insurance is for the government to get the f*ck out of the way. All they do is restrict competition, require people to purchase coverages they may not want, and generally cause premiums to be artificially high.

You cannot separate economic and personal freedom. When the government requires us to pay for anything, they have restricted our economic freedom. This in turn restricts our personal freedom to do what is best in OUR opinion.

If a state mandates insurance coverage such as Mass. which has done little more than increase costs, residents have the option to move to Ohio where insurance is almost free. When the feds mandate coverage, we are left with little choice of where to live.

Rick

Many feel that health care is a right, just like food and shelter

Last time I checked, neither of those are free.

at this point a single payer system would be the easiest thing to do.

You do realize that those systems have shortfalls as well, and GB is considering privatizing at least a portion of their system.

I didn't think food or shelter were rights. Last time I checked you can be homeless and starving.

You do realize that those systems have shortfalls as well, and GB is considering privatizing at least a portion of their system.

No system is perfect. And there is no reason why a single payer system couldnt have privatized elements to it....

On a totally separate note; its my 1000th post!!!!
I get to visit the "exclusive" 1000 post thread!.... lol

Last edited:

no reason why a single payer system couldnt have privatized elements to it....

When you do that it is no longer single payer . . .

Medicare is a single payer system. Medicare is broke.

Social Security is a single payer system. Social Security is broke.

What makes you think turning over another system to the govt will work any better than the ones they have now?

Back on the "right" to health care. I have a good friend from high school that has two adult daughters who are living with Gaucher's disease. They were diagnosed as young children and through the miracle of modern medications have lived past their teens when most die.

Gaucher's cannot be cured but the symptoms can be minimized with regular medication. When they can get Cerezyme, it is $20,000 per dose. They are supposed to get it monthly but for the last few years have only been able to get 3 - 4 injections per year.

Do they have a right to Cerezyme? Do they have a right to unfettered access to health care?

Just asking.

Basically, it seems that the callous attitude expressed here is that it all boils down to survival of the fittest! The other be damned!

You may consider me callous, but I consider myself to be a pragmatist. There isn't enough money to provide the level of health care American's demand and provide it for everyone.

Health care is rationed everywhere, including countries where the govt runs everything.

We just have a different way of rationing it.

Let's take it a step further. Why should carriers pay for that $20,000 cancer med? That harms the entire system.

Under the premise that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, cap all chemo treatment at $20,000 max and that's it. Past that - tough.

I believe the stat is something like 2% are responsible for 50% of all claims? Cap the 2% and we'll all be fine.

What's the practical thing to do if someone is diagnosed with an incurable disease? Don't allow payment for the treatment. What's the practical thing to do if it's indeed curable but will cost $500,000? Don't allow payment for treatment.

I didn't think food or shelter were rights. Last time I checked you can be homeless and starving.

Just because they are a right, doesn't mean you can't be deprived of them. See Obamacare and the Constitution, clear attempt to deprive us of certain rights.

In fact, other than air and water, I can't think of a single right that is free. And if you want your air and water clean, that will cost money.

Everyone should have access to a basic level of health care, the quesiton is, what is appropriate.

In a society thats as morally, financially, and technologically advanced as ours, when society has the means to provide anyone in need with healthcare, at some point and at some level it becomes a moral obligation to provide a certain amount of care to those who are sick.

I'll agree with that, however you need a compulsory system in place, tort reform, NO coverage for illegals (they would have to literally be refused services), and care rationing.

Americans are not willing to do any of the above at this time. I am not suggesting all of the above either.

Honestly, at this point a single payer system would be the easiest thing to do.
Institute a federal healthcare sales tax (exemptions for certain items of course).
A sales tax would take care of the problem of illegal immigrants, criminals, & under the table workers who fly below the radar. It would also allow foreign visitors access to healthcare that they help pay for while in our country.

Is this in addition to the Bush tax cuts expiring?

So a foreign visitor comes here and buys a back of bubble gum, pays 1 cent tax and gets an organ transplant for free?

So now we are the worlds dumping ground for free medical procedures? Ohhh wait - we already are.

imo (and many others) healthcare for children should be free no matter what its for!!
To some extent I agree no child should suffer due to an irresponsible or parent who simply doesn't have the money. However those who have the ability to pay should not get a free ride. Child only plans USED to cost $50 to $150/mo in most markets (average under $100!). Of course these days are largely gone with most carriers pulling out of child only plans, and GI with no pre ex and no mandate - you are going to see children getting rated up to 1000% in some markets and street rates 3 to 10X what they are today.

Change you can believe in. It's all about the kids right?

Back