How Are You Getting a "Letter of Dis-Enrollment" from MAPD Carriers for Med Supp Underwriters?

All clients are still within their OE, AND have trial right-less than 12 months on MAPD. Replacement forms were sent with the Med Supp applications.
Between months 7 and 12 they are eligible GI but are no longer in OE. It is only a technical difference, in that like OE, this is the only one of the seven GI rights that allows them to choose any med supp from any carrier, not the usual ABCFKL, but it isn't correct to call them in OE for the entire 12 month period.

Between months 7 and 12 they are eligible GI but are no longer in OE. It is only a technical difference, in that like OE, this is the only one of the seven GI rights that allows them to choose any med supp from any carrier, not the usual ABCFKL, but it isn't correct to call them in OE for the entire 12 month period.

Very true, you are correct. Key difference, and fine point.

In this case all are still in OE-within 6 months of taking Part B or turning 65, so yes.

However, I had one client recently who was out of the OE season and had to medically qualify, and could only qualify for UHC AARP. too bad he didn't call me when he turned 65.

Now he is subject to loosing his 30% discount at age 71, so it will get expensive eventually.

Loss ratios are something to consider when choosing Med Supp companies, and Trans America at 95% has much higher loss ratios than Aetna or Cigna both at 75%. Central States Indemnity has the greatest at over 166%. Manhattan Life has a loss ratio of 121% (All these ratios are from the CSG actuarial site.)

I presume those LR's are in your state. Certainly doesn't match what I see for Georgia or even national LR's.

TA -76%
CSI - 75%
MLIC -79%

National LR's are something to look at if you wonder whether the carrier is going to stick around or not. Anything above 80% is a concern. Ideally the carrier should be around 77% and lower.

State LR's are almost meaningless due to small sampling.

But aren't state LR's the main driver of state specific rate adjustments? Seems to me that state specific LR would drive rate adjustments.

Back